First Oops with Bobcat 331 - hydraulic leak

/ First Oops with Bobcat 331 - hydraulic leak
Blake,

I used the thumb for some of the branches and smaller stuff. all but one of the remaining logs had a big enough diameter I couldn't grip them at all with the thumb, I had already tried. You can see the cut end of a log and the size of the thumb in the first photos.

I used the wide bucket to help stabilize the smaller branches I picked up the day before the photos were taken. I grabbed them from a brush pile and carried them to a new pile. My thoughts were that the long bucket with the internal ribs would provide a better surface for the thumb to hold the branches and keep them from twisting out from under the thumb as I carried them. On the other hand the teeth would have helped pick up the branches in the first place, I will try that next time. In the absence of experience my choice was simply based on a thought experiment.

The log suspended from chains in the photos was the smallest diameter one I had to move, that one may have been small enough to grip between the bucket and the thumb. It was also the longest log I had to move and I was worried about finding the balance point.

I was worried about an unbalanced load. I have very little seat time and I was not sure how unbalanced a load held by the clamp can be without risk of tipping. With the chain, I could balance the load and not worry how much off center I grabbed the log.

Mark,

I have already called them. Bobcat of New Hampshire is going to make a service call later this week. (With luck it will be tomorrow.)

/ First Oops with Bobcat 331 - hydraulic leak #13  
If it were mine I woudl take the cover off to see if it's a hose leak or a seal leak. The pics don't show nothing unless you pull the cover. Let us know what happens but first save your money and look for yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darin

/ First Oops with Bobcat 331 - hydraulic leak #14  
I have not worked on a mini track hoe but I have worked on several dozers and tractors. Looking at your last picture, I would take out the bolts showing on the cover. There might be some not shown in the picture so check and feel for them. The cover looks like it swings out or comes off. Once you have the shield off, you can see what the problem might be, I suspect a ruptured hose or cracked fitting. There should be a drive motor under the cover. check and make sure the motor seals are not leaking. If they are you might need to remove the drive motor to replace the seals. Do yourself a favor and get a parts and repair manual, it will aide you greatly!
All of this is speculation taken from the photograph and I might be competely wrong. Pulling the cover should help reveal the problem.

/ First Oops with Bobcat 331 - hydraulic leak #15  
Sorry Darrin, you were quicker on the keyboard than me. I wouldn't have responded if I had seen your post. I'm just a day late and a dollar short! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ First Oops with Bobcat 331 - hydraulic leak #16  
Ed-

That makes sense for not using the thumb. I'm not trying to criticize, just curious. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The thumb shouldn't off balance you too much. Remember, if you ever feel unbalanced, you can simply put the hoe back down. You can always carry the hoe low if you feel a little unsafe as well. As far as the bucket, I hope my editing took place on my first post to you, I originally was curious to why you were using that size bucket, I decided to cut it out because I didn't want to sound like an ****. LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Keep posting pictures of your work, there's nothing better in my opinion then to see people working with their machines.

Blake
WA

/ First Oops with Bobcat 331 - hydraulic leak #17  
remove that cover it may just be something simple (old worn hose ect.) if you can give bobcat an idea of what it is they may bring those parts and have it back together for you the same day.

/ First Oops with Bobcat 331 - hydraulic leak #18  
With the chain, I could balance the load and not worry how much off center I grabbed the log. )</font>

Ed, when you grab something with the thumb, grabbing something not near the center won't cause you to tip but just cause the object to fall down a little on the side that's sticking out the furthest, especially if it's heavy. If it's not heavy, you don't have to worry about it sliding out. Remember, experimenting is great. I didn't get as good as I am with case backhoes without experimenting. I still have to experiment with excavators because I've only run one once, a 490E JD when I was 11 with a guy clearing for our house. So....

Blake
WA

Close up of the leak with the cover plate removed.

The space under the cover plate was packed tight with dirt, which needed to be dug out with a screwdriver (and flushed with pumped hydraulic fluid). Without the dirt the flow rate of hydraulic fluid out of the tractor was MUCH higher. The source of the hydraulic fluid was a hole in the side of the traction motor.

The bottom line is that my 331 needs a major repair, to replace (or rebuild) the traction motor.

Attachments

• 255538-DSCN0117 800w S.JPG
    255538-DSCN0117 800w S.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,002
   / First Oops with Bobcat 331 - hydraulic leak #20  
Did you just buy this? I'd be a little suspect if you just got it. Makes you wonder if the previous owner knew about the leak and packed some mud in there as a stop gap??. Kind of seems like the guard was there to keep dirt out. I'd pull the other cover and see if there's an equal amount of mud in that one just for curiousity. Nothing like a new toy/tool that's broken!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Best of luck when you get it repaired - I'd love to have one of those little units. Almost as much as I'd like to have one of the big ones!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif