Oil & Fuel First oil change 2554

/ First oil change 2554 #11  
Bloody 'ell, that was a tussle. Between the gorilla that bolted the engine to the frame, the semi-used oil everywhere, and 2 trips to the store to get the proper length nipple to clear that bit of the frame rail that sticks out behind the motor, the project took far longer than I had planned. Totally killed any motivation I had to actually mow today.

Helpful hint for anyone else looking to do this. You will have to loosen the bolts holding down the right side of the engine. Do yourself a favor and pull off the starter before trying to tussle with those bolts. I killed about 1/2 hour trying to get to the nuts before the simple remedy of removing the starter sparked across my feeble brain. A word of caution, though. The nuts/bolts holding down the engine are 9/16. The two bolts holding the starter to the block are 10mm. I hate it when they mix metric and standard.

/ First oil change 2554
Bloody 'ell, that was a tussle. Between the gorilla that bolted the engine to the frame, the semi-used oil everywhere, and 2 trips to the store to get the proper length nipple to clear that bit of the frame rail that sticks out behind the motor, the project took far longer than I had planned. Totally killed any motivation I had to actually mow today.

Helpful hint for anyone else looking to do this. You will have to loosen the bolts holding down the right side of the engine. Do yourself a favor and pull off the starter before trying to tussle with those bolts. I killed about 1/2 hour trying to get to the nuts before the simple remedy of removing the starter sparked across my feeble brain. A word of caution, though. The nuts/bolts holding down the engine are 9/16. The two bolts holding the starter to the block are 10mm. I hate it when they mix metric and standard.

I'll just continue to let it run off the rear of the pan ;)

/ First oil change 2554 #13  
If I get tired of the small bit of oil on the frame I will use a die grinder with a cut off blade to get rid of the elbow, unscrew the nipple and install a hose with fittings on both ends. Install a clip on the frame to hold the hose and that will take care of the problem. No jacking of engine and takes very little time.

/ First oil change 2554 #14  
**** Ned I wish I would have said something about removing the starter...I just took it for granted folks would do that first.

Anyway I've used our GT about 3x's a day since putting in that oil plug and since I'm not replacing oil all the time I don't have to wrestle with that abortion dip stick every time now. Big save on my broke d!ck back and wrist.