First Kodak Moments

/ First Kodak Moments #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
I gotta pay homage one more time to my tractor broker, Mike, who I shall now call "Miracle Mike". Not only did he find me my L2500DT, but within 48 hours of my signing on the dotted line he got the tractor from the dealer, picked up the loader from a Kubota parts house and installed it, ordered and then drove out to pick up the implements I wanted, threw them all on his trailer, and when I arrived at my foothills property Saturday, there he was having just unloaded it all.

Anybody in central California looking for any kind of tractor or implement, I'll be glad to put you in touch with Miracle Mike.

I had never met him in person before the delivery and he must have thought I was crazy, 'cuz instead of running over to jump on the tractor, I grabbed my camera and started taking pictures (gotta share with the board, don't you know). /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Mike proceeded to give me about a one-hour lesson on how to use the machine. He wouldn't leave until he was sure I understood all the controls and could demonstrate them to his satisfaction. I was self-conscious as hell, but it was a very worthwhile hour.

After he left, my first priority was to make sure I could get this thing through that infamous garage door on the side of the shop. I had made doubly sure that the tractor I got had at least a take-apart ROPS and this one did. Sort of.
Anybody out there actually try taking one of those puppies apart? Ever notice how the sides of the ROPS is angled in, making it almost impossible to lift the top part off? I wound up using a sledge hammer to take it apart, and a car jack to put it back together. One go 'round with that hassle and I was aggressively looking for alternatives.

Then I remembered that this was a slightly smaller tractor than the ones I had used for measurements a while back. According to the specs, this one is over an inch shorter! A few measurements later and I was attacking the garage doorframe with a vengeance! The problem got solved.

If anybody else has faced this problem, you may have also run into a garage door which doesn't voluntarily stay quite high enough to be out of the way when opened. Being a techie kind of guy, I came up with a high-tech solution for that one, also.

By the time that was done I had precious few hours left to master the fine art of tractoring. I drove around for a little while, getting the feel of the gears, steering and what-not. Oh yeah, about tilting -- I determined that I am unlikely to exceed 15 degrees real soon 'cuz when I hit one short stretch that was maybe 5 degrees or less I 'bout peed my pants! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

With the first inkling of confidence creeping in, I clamped on my bucket forks and went after a couple of logs that were clogging one of my water channels (currently dry). Buckling into my tractor feels just like putting on my Superman suite! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I hope that feeling never goes away.

I then started clearing the channel with the box scraper and bumped into a sizeable rock, mostly buried. Time for the rippers!!! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
I lowered 3 of the 5 shanks and dropped them behind the boulder. The rest is history. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Time ran out just as I was making my first attempt to dig out the water channels. I think that's going to take a little practice. Sure wish I could see the front of the bucket when I'm doing stuff like that.

Sorry for this very long post. It was just one of those hog-heaven weekends, and I had to share it with somebody.

HarvSig.gif

/ First Kodak Moments #2  
Great pictures Harv.
I would say you indeed had a busy weekend./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Got to admit those Kubota's beat a shovel and a wheel barrow anytime,and you didn't even break a sweat. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Keep those pictures coming I enjoy them!!

Take care and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ First Kodak Moments #3  
Harv,
Are you planing to have a chain hook or hooks install on your bucket? /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
A chain hook plus a good tool box can be most handy also.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ First Kodak Moments #4  
Harv,

Congratulations. Nice pics too. I like the garage modifications. I wish I could do that with my garage door. My problem is I need to remove about a foot /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. Hope all the effort you put in is worth it to you. Like you I put on the superman suit too but don't have the x-ray vision to see through the bucket! Enjoy, have fun and be safe.

Derek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/ First Kodak Moments #5  
Harv,

Looks like you've got a nice clean tractor there! Great post and pix! And you put it to work right away!! I just got my new L3010 Saturday and put on my front and rear lights and switches, tiltmeter, am/fm cassette (a Walkman velcroed to the fender like my old B2150, ear buds and hearing protection muffs over that and makes a nice stereo system), and then I waxed it yesterday while the kids were napping.

The only work I did was moved hay and shavings from one barn to the other but even that little bit was fun.

May you have many years of enjoyment with your "L"!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Brad in Indy

/ First Kodak Moments
Thomas -
I already have the hooks for the bucket -- just not sure how I'm going to attach them. Lately I've developed the urge to buy a welding torch and learn how to use it. Sounds like some of you guys have been welding all your lives, so maybe you have suggestions?
About the toolbox -- look close at some of the picts and you'll see I already mounted a toolbox on the right fender, using existing mounting holes (couldn't bring myself to poke new holes in her, yet). This is a cheapy plastic toolbox for now -- just an experiment to see how I like the idea. It's got a couple of 10-foot chains with hooks, miscellaneous pins and bolts, protractor's level and a few tools in it. So far I like it fine -- makes a nice arm rest. What do I really need? A CUP HOLDER!

Rowski -
If you ever reach the frame of mind I did after taking off the top of the ROPS and putting it back on, you'd go ahead and remove that foot. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Hopefully you'll wake up in the middle of the night when that "perfect solution" pops into your head.

BSauter -
It actually hurt a little to jump right in as I did and put a whole bunch of scratches on my shiny new machine, but I did treat it to a bath before putting it to bed.
I also have a lot of "enhancements" in mind, some already in production. Stay tuned for the corresponding pict posts later on. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ First Kodak Moments #7  
Now aren't you glad you found such a nice tractor! Rotate that boxblade with as much side to side tilt as you can and use it instead of the bucket to clean the drainage ditch or lower the scarfiers and make that ditch the width of the boxblade. Dig slowly with the loader to not damage something.

Buy a DC Welder. This is important, but it looks like the same welder but costs $100 more and work $1000 better.

The pictures are really nice. Thanks for sharing those with us.

/ First Kodak Moments #8  
Harv - Congratulations! In response to "Why doesn't anybody talk about this part? in "Rock.jpg", all you need is a 4-in-1 bucket and you won't have to do that anymore... Let the enhancements begin!

As for the cupholder, just glue a hard drive magnet to the bottom of a plastic mug (or the 7-11 Xtreme Gulp mega-tanker) and you've got a cupholder anywhere on the fender you set it.

Mark

/ First Kodak Moments #9  
I'm with Wen a DC welder is the only way to go better penatration and alot less spatter. So Harv if you do get the urge for a welder thats the way to go.

Also cools pic's of the new tractor. It might have hurt the wallet alittle more than the used tractors but this way you've got a warr. You also know exactly what has been and will be done to the tractor because you will have put all the hours on it!!!

Also be careful and go slow at first it's easy for the job at hand to get out of hand before you know it!!!
Good luck
Gordon

/ First Kodak Moments #10  
Harv - You are a HOOT. Enjoyed the pix and long post. Don't know how you mustered the patience to make mods to the garage before playing on that great looking new tractor! Although I understand the importance of being garaged. When I get my digital camera, new M5700 Kubota, and learn how to do markups or post pix I'll give you a run for your money. Too ashamed to show ya'll my old, trusty Ford. Sure did envy you that good weather this weekend as it rained (finally) all weekend here in Middle TN. Looked out the den window and there sat old blue with 2 wagons hooked to her ready to go trim some more fence line - but no seat time for me this weekend. Enjoy and be careful.
When you get that welder - DC capability is worth the extra bucks. Start off with simple projects and use (powdered iron)7014 rods. They are the easiest to use for learning on and then you can step up to others. Course you will probably wind up with one of those Super-Duper SMAW-GMAW-TIG-MIG-PLASMA trailer mounted, diesel driven, power generating (at least 10KVA) PIPELINER Welders. If so don't forget to paint it Orange. All of you remember Tennessee is BIG ORANGE COUNTRY.