First 3 months with my JD2025R

/ First 3 months with my JD2025R #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
Thought I'd write a short review of my JD 2025R. I got it about 3 months ago and traded in a 10 year old Kubota BX 2350. I'll make comparisons but its not a fair comparison since the 2025R is more like a 25hp Kubota B series tractor. The JD came with an end loader, auto connect deck, forks and loaded tires.

The first thing is the mowing deck. The auto connect feature is what sold me on the tractor and I haven't been disappointed with it. The deck comes on and off in a couple of minutes. Its not hands free but almost. I had a mulch kit on the Kubota and got one on the JD also. I'd say the deck cuts a little better than the Kubota. Even with the mulch kit the Kubota would leave little windrows some times which the JD doesn't. I was also worried that the JD would tear up the lawn more since its a little bigger and heavier but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd also swear the JD 60" deck is wider than the Kubota 60" deck. I don't know how that is possible but there are a couple areas in my yard that is takes less passes to mow, maybe I just overlap less without knowing it. The height adjustment system is also better on the JD, I fought this from day 1 on the Kubota. The knob was a ***** to turn.

Better seat on the JD, its a suspension seat and my yard is rough in places and it rides much smoother. The larger tires help this also.

The end loader. Is it a huge step up from the Kubota? No. The bucket is a 52" where the Kubota was 48" but the JD bucket is deeper, taller and holds more. I'm not sure how much more but enough it makes a difference. Like most tractors, it seems sized well for the tractor, but like most people there are times I wish it was bigger. JD's quick attach bucket is great. Its a very simple system and it doesn't hurt the lift capacity like a skid streer setup would. Switching between forks and the bucket is quick and easy. Taking the entire loader off is also very easy. The Kubota was also easy but the JD takes a little less skill than the Kubota did at first.

Engines? Both were great engines, the Kubota was 0.9 liters where the JD is 1.3 liters. I'm not disappointed with the JD engine, its a Yanmar, it smoother than the Kubota, seems a little quieter but I think I expected more power from the larger engine. I notice the JD has more power than the Kubota mowing but when working the end loader hard its possible to really bog the engine. I think I've read that Kubota may use two speed hydraulic pumps so that may be the difference?? Not sure. The JD isn't under powered but the little BX had a heck of an engine for its size. The JD also uses more fuel than the Kubota. The BX series are pretty easy on fuel.

Two annoying things about the JD. The RIO! This sucks but I have adapted. You have to hold the PTO switch down when backing up mowing. That gets old but I have adapted. You also can't get off the JD without putting it in neutral, the Kubota you could. On the Kubota on flat ground I'd drop the bucket and get off without setting the brake.

Engineering. This is an intangible that I can't put my finger on. The JD is very nicely engineered. Its also being a R modes considered "deluxe". This shows up in little things, a tool box, arm rest on the seat, better control of the 3 point. I also feel the plastic parts might hold up better on the JD but time will tell on that. I expect ease of maintenance to be about the same. It also cost more than the Kubota, it was about 21k out the door. They also gave me 7k trade on the BX, which had a little under 800 hours on it and was 10 years old.

Overall please with the JD, no buyers remorse once I got used to it. I'd say you can't go wrong with one but you can't go wrong with a Kubota either. There are still times I miss my BX. We had history together.

Last edited:
   / First 3 months with my JD2025R #2  
Thought I'd write a short review of my JD 2025R. I got it about 3 months ago and traded in a 10 year old Kubota BX 2350. I'll make comparisons but its not a fair comparison since the 2025R is more like a 25hp Kubota B series tractor. The JD came with an end loader, auto connect deck, forks and loaded tires.

The first thing is the mowing deck. The auto connect feature is what sold me on the tractor and I haven't been disappointed with it. The deck comes on and off in a couple of minutes. Its not hands free but almost. I had a mulch kit on the Kubota and got one on the JD also. I'd say the deck cuts a little better than the Kubota. Even with the mulch kit the Kubota would leave little windrows some times which the JD doesn't. I was also worried that the JD would tear up the lawn more since its a little bigger and heavier but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd also swear the JD 60" deck is wider than the Kubota 60" deck. I don't know how that is possible but there are a couple areas in my yard that is takes less passes to mow, maybe I just overlap less without knowing it. The height adjustment system is also better on the JD, I fought this from day 1 on the Kubota. The knob was a ***** to turn.

Better seat on the JD, its a suspension seat and my yard is rough in places and it rides much smoother. The larger tires help this also.

The end loader. Is it a huge step up from the Kubota? No. The bucket is a 52" where the Kubota was 48" but the JD bucket is deeper, taller and holds more. I'm not sure how much more but enough it makes a difference. Like most tractors, it seems sized well for the tractor, but like most people there are times I wish it was bigger. JD's quick attach bucket is great. Its a very simple system and it doesn't hurt the lift capacity like a skid streer setup would. Switching between forks and the bucket is quick and easy. Taking the entire loader off is also very easy. The Kubota was also easy but the JD takes a little less skill than the Kubota did at first.

Engines? Both were great engines, the Kubota was 0.9 liters where the JD is 1.3 liters. I'm not disappointed with the JD engine, its a Yanmar, it smoother than the Kubota, seems a little quieter but I think I expected more power from the larger engine. I notice the JD has more power than the Kubota mowing but when working the end loader hard its possible to really bog the engine. I think I've read that Kubota may use two speed hydraulic pumps so that may be the difference?? Not sure. The JD isn't under powered but the little BX had a heck of an engine for its size. The JD also uses more fuel than the Kubota. The BX series are pretty easy on fuel.

Two annoying things about the JD. The RIO! This sucks but I have adapted. You have to hold the PTO switch down when backing up mowing. That gets old but I have adapted. You also can't get off the JD without putting it in neutral, the Kubota you could. On the Kubota on flat ground I'd drop the bucket and get off without setting the brake.

Engineering. This is an intangible that I can't put my finger on. The JD is very nicely engineered. Its also being a R modes considered "deluxe". This shows up in little things, a tool box, arm rest on the seat, better control of the 3 point. I also feel the plastic parts might hold up better on the JD but time will tell on that. I expect ease of maintenance to be about the same. It also cost more than the Kubota, it was about 21k out the door. They also gave me 7k trade on the BX, which had a little under 800 hours on it and was 10 years old.

Overall please with the JD, no buyers remorse once I got used to it. I'd say you can't go wrong with one but you can't go wrong with a Kubota either. There are still times I miss my BX. We had history together.

I greatly appreciate this review and perspective from a true user of the equipment.

Thank you.

Q-?
Do you like the curl capacity of the JD? Could you comment on this?
Have you lost traction when trying to take a load of material with the FEL?
Do you have liquid ballast or weights in the rear tires?

Thanks again.

/ First 3 months with my JD2025R
I would say the curl capacity is about what I would expect. Roughly equal to the Kubota I had but I am also using a bigger bucket now. If you drive into a pile of material, say gravel, and try and curl the bucket, it won't do it. I find myself backing away from the pile a little bit, but I'm also trying to over fill the bucket when doing this. Similar experience to my Kubota.

One thing I didn't comment on was the fact it was much easier to say curl and lift with the Kubota joy stick than the JD. Its not impossible with the JD but almost. I also realize this is why I sometimes thought the loader was slow on the Kubota. If you do one thing at a time its much faster, say curl and then lift instead of both at the same time. After putting 30 hours on the JD it seems like a non issue.

I have lost traction when loading the bucket but its much better with the JD than the Kubota was. I don't know if its the extra weight of the machine or bigger tires or what but it happens less for me with the JD.

I have rimguard in my tires and a ballast box with about 400 pounds in it.

/ First 3 months with my JD2025R #4  
Did you cross shop with a "B" series KB? If so, what put you in the JD camp? I would expect a brand new 2025R to easily out work & out class a 10 year old BX!

Pictures are nice, too.....;)

I did call about a used B but no mower deck. I said call me back for a price with a deck added. Never heard back. The other area dealer didn稚 have any B Kubotas in stock. I壇 say a new B would be comparable but no auto connect deck.

/ First 3 months with my JD2025R #6  
I did call about a used B but no mower deck. I said call me back for a price with a deck added. Never heard back. The other area dealer didn稚 have any B Kubotas in stock. I壇 say a new B would be comparable but no auto connect deck.
So is it only the BX's in the Kubota line with auto connect deck?

I think JD is the only one with auto connect decks. Kubota does have drive over decks though.

The big plus of the JD deck is the driveshaft hooks up on its own. You have to set the gauge wheels and put two pins in to hold the latches in place but you do not have hook up any linkage or the drive shaft. I found on my kubota I was leaving the deck on when I should have been taking it off for end loader work.