Firewood Rack

/ Firewood Rack #1  

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I've never been able to set up the portable wood racks a lot of people have, but I like to keep the firewood neatly stacked when I move it from the wood shed to the house or barn.

I also claim I'm not a hoarder or collector but I hate to throw things away if they can be re-used. I just replaced my old garage doors and didn't want to pitch the tracks. However, they are tough to re-purpose since they are odd shaped and don't work well for welding projects since they are galvanized. I used some scrap 4x4 from another project and fastened it together with the lag screws from the garage doors. The top timbers are rails from a cedar fence replaced because the posts rotted off.

I have a gazebo outside the pole barn and used to just dump the wood there but the racks make it look nicer. (wife approved)

wood1.jpgwood2.jpg

/ Firewood Rack #2  
Looks like it works good, about the best use for those tracks I've seen!

I have to leave my wood outside until I build a woodshed, I have a lot of 2x4 3/16 rectangle tube left over from temp framework for a plane so I made brackets to hold 2x4s

1482218155307.jpg

It's 10ft wude x 5ft high and holds 2 rows of wood, stacked high it's just under 2 cords, they get covered with a tarp.

I like yours, may have to copy a small version for by the house.

Here's it loaded up1482218332272.jpg

/ Firewood Rack #3  
Good use of available product Kenny.

Wood racked beats wood thrown in a pile any day. :)

/ Firewood Rack #4  
Good use of available product Kenny.

Wood racked beats wood thrown in a pile any day. :)

My firewood is racked in the basement, but the excess (I've got 7 cords downstairs) 3 cords is in a dumped pile outside. That will go inside in the spring.

/ Firewood Rack #5  
KennyG
Just for your info on the garage door rails that r galvanized if you soak them in hydrochloric acid or muriatic acid (same thing) for a few minutes it will take that gavanized right off, then you can weld it. Make sure you do it outside tho I don't think the fumes are good for you. I've done this many times and works great
Lea

/ Firewood Rack #6  
KennyG
Just for your info on the garage door rails that r galvanized if you soak them in hydrochloric acid or muriatic acid (same thing) for a few minutes it will take that gavanized right off, then you can weld it. Make sure you do it outside tho I don't think the fumes are good for you. I've done this many times and works great
Lea

Just grind it off where you want to weld. Easy enough even with a flap wheel on an angle grinder.