Finding septic tanks

/ Finding septic tanks #1  

bczoom

Veteran Member
All the posts about having the tanks pumped made me put it on my "to do" list.

Now, I need to find the tanks. There are 3 and I need to find 2 of them (the 3rd has a lid that is visible). There is about 40 feet between the house and the 3rd (visible) tank and the other 2 are somewhere inbetween.

The ground in this area is primarily packed stone so driving a stake to see what I hit may be a bit difficult.

I could "guess" and pull a BH in there to see what I would find but don't want to hit the lines.

Any tricks on how to find them?

Thanks.
Brian

/ Finding septic tanks #2  
bc, you might try calling your county health office. If septic inspections are required where you live, they may have a sketch on file of where it is.

/ Finding septic tanks #3  
bczoom, When I did mine I took a short piece of re-bar and small sledge and used it as a sonar detector cause when you hit the tank or lid it makes a distinct sound (also stops cold)

It also easier to pull out. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just tapped it in several locations til I pinpointed the lid and started digging

/ Finding septic tanks #4  
Brian, step back from the house a good distance and look up at the roof. You will (or you should) see an "exhaust stack" poking out of your roof somewhere. Most septic tanks are roughly "in line" with the exhaust stack straight out from the house (assuming a relatively flat property without woods near the house).

/ Finding septic tanks #5  
Probably too late for this solution but in the winter the snow always melts above the septic tank first. Sometimes I get a very precise rectangle outline through the snow.

Right now, it's the area with the greenest grass as the soil is warmer there.

The idea about the health department is probably the best. All septic permits issued in our area will have a map on file /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Finding septic tanks #6  
The piping going to your tank should be metal you can use a metal detector to follow the pipe and when it STOPS beeping you should be over the tank

/ Finding septic tanks #7  
I'd be a bit wary of contacting the health dept for this info. If someone before you did not get the proper permit it could end up costing you or causing grief if it was found to be done wrong ...after their inspection ....etc. You could go in with the best intentions but it might backfire on ya. Be careful if you go that route.

Moon of Ohio

/ Finding septic tanks #8  
"There are 3 and I need to find 2 of them "

Why do you think there are 3 of them.. I have seen a separate grease trap before(right next to house).. but 3 tanks in a row.. what would be the purpose.. more capacity?

/ Finding septic tanks #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The piping going to your tank should be metal you can use a metal detector to follow the pipe and when it STOPS beeping you should be over the tank )</font>

Mine is sch 40, so perhaps not all is metal.

/ Finding septic tanks #10  
When I was looking for mine, I used a 3' section of 3/4" threaded aluminum pipe (I think). I mashed one end and screwed a hose connection on the other end. With the water hose turned on full blast, I could wash down around where I thought it was until I hit it. Also, while hunting for the second tank, which I never could find, I talked to my local plumber. He told me that he had a device for locating septic tanks. From the sound of it, it was a mini radio transmitter that he flushed down the toilet and he then used a receiver to pick up the signal from the transmitter in the tank. I never used it myself but it sounded good to me.