Finding printer on home network

/ Finding printer on home network #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
I have a home network with 4 computers linked. The computers talk peer to peer. Just installed a printer and I can only print from the computer that is hard wired to the computer. The other computers can see the printer but cant print on printer. I see the printer and click on the printer in remote computer and I find that I am clicking on the shortcut to printer. The short cut is on the computer that is able to use printer. I am wondering if I am sharing shortcut but not the printer? I have right clicked on the printer and chose share printer. I am working with XP Pro. Any ideas?

Cheers....Coffeeman

/ Finding printer on home network #2  
I have a home network with 4 computers linked. The computers talk peer to peer. Just installed a printer and I can only print from the computer that is hard wired to the computer. The other computers can see the printer but cant print on printer. I see the printer and click on the printer in remote computer and I find that I am clicking on the shortcut to printer. The short cut is on the computer that is able to use printer. I am wondering if I am sharing shortcut but not the printer? I have right clicked on the printer and chose share printer. I am working with XP Pro. Any ideas?

First, disable simple file sharing on the computer with the printer installed (directions) then, open "printers and faxes" and right click on the shared printer, click on properties and then on the "Security" tab, select the "everyone" user and make certain the "print" and "manage documents" boxes are checked, hit ok and try installing the printer and printing to it from one of the other computers, MS has some directions here that may be of use to you: How to Use Windows XP to Share a Printer with Others on Your Network

Let me know how it went.

Aaron Z

/ Finding printer on home network
First, disable simple file sharing on the computer with the printer installed (directions) then, open "printers and faxes" and right click on the shared printer, click on properties and then on the "Security" tab, select the "everyone" user and make certain the "print" and "manage documents" boxes are checked, hit ok and try installing the printer and printing to it from one of the other computers, MS has some directions here that may be of use to you: How to Use Windows XP to Share a Printer with Others on Your Network

Let me know how it went.

Aaron Z

Aaron

I tried your directions. Got to the security tab and couldn't find it. Anyway, after a couple weeks rest, my mind was thinking clear again. (at least clear enough to fix the problem) Due to some of the places you pointed me to, I decided to click add a printer. What happened to me was I could see the printer in the shared printer list, but I couldn't print on the remote printer as I hadn't added the printer to the machine that was sending to printer.

So, I clicked share printer on machine that was hooked to printer. On remote computers I clicked add a printer, I let machine find drivers for remote printer. I was in business!!!

Thanks for the helpful post.

Cheers.....Coffeeman