Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it!

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #11  
One more word of advise. If you have fuel in the oil, DON"T worry about finding a seal to correct that. Plan on removing the pump, sending/taking it somewhere and have the pump work done right. Getting it off and back on, with some help if needed, you can do. The pump itself, you're not ready for that part.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it!
   / Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it!
One more word of advise. If you have fuel in the oil, DON"T worry about finding a seal to correct that. Plan on removing the pump, sending/taking it somewhere and have the pump work done right. Getting it off and back on, with some help if needed, you can do. The pump itself, you're not ready for that part.

Yeah it would probably be cheaper to have this one rebuilt than just buying a new one. Thanks!

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #14  
How much diesel in the oil?
Does it just smell of fuel or is the level high and the oil thin?
Have you considered draining the oil refilling and seeing how she does.

No sediment bowl with the diesel, but you will have dual filters inline, sometimes both on the same side of the engine,
some will have one on each side of engine.

Yes, you can have a loader and a ROPS at the same time.

That series of IH's are a nice compact nimble tractors, like most older utility's you do straddle the transmission which can build up considerable heat in hot weather and they can be a bit clumsy to get on or off of getting down into the seat.

Added;
that lip seal will be on the pump shaft and will not be visible until the pump is removed from the tractor,
which will require removing the access cover on the engine front cover and removing the pump drive gear.
Watch out for all the timing marks on all the gears. It will be easier with the tin work removed along with the radiator and water pump.
The pumpguy could advise you better.

Also these are not the best starting tractors in cold weather unless plugged in,
I've added a gear reduction starter to my 574 which helps.

Last edited:
   / Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #15  
When you start it does it miss and smoke a lot? Have you considered maybe you have an injector leaking diesel in the cylinder after shutdown. A diesel shop can likely do a pressure test and see if the system is tight or leaking diesel past the rings into the crankcase.
My 584 has both a loader (2250 I believe) and ROPS with a canopy. I also have a canister primary and secondary fuel filter on the engine RH side.

Gregg

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #16  
Get injector pump expert to do pump work...

No sediment bowl on diesel for sure.

The true factory ROPS was a 4 post design. I can't say I've ever seen a 4 post ROPS with a loader. I have seen several 2 post SIMS ROPS & canopy with loaders on 674s.

The 84 series and up had a two post ROPS that will work on 74 series if you drill the holes in the fenders. The loaders sold in Canada for the 74 series and up did not bolt to rear axle (2250, 1850 etc. None of the later IH or CIH loaders bolted to the rear axle on any of the newer models, 2200, 2255 etc.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #17  
Here are a couple links to the Case/IH online parts book, you may find come in handy, looking for parts for various function groups on the tractor, and engine. Select a function group out of the menu, then drill down, and open the particular exploded view of what you' be working on, and open it. You'll see an exploded view, and part list to the right with OEM part numbers. Select a local dealer in your area, and it will show dealer cost. You can also copy, and paste the part number to a search engine ( I have the best results with Google) and search for aftermarket parts. As far as seals and bearings, most OEM part numbers will cross through NAPA online, or Motion Industries. Once you find the cross reference number, you can again do a search for that particular number. Lots of online vendors offering those parts, and even ebay is a good place to look for them, most are NOS parts, that can be bought for a fraction of the cost, of at the dealer.

D-239 Diesel engine. 4 cylinder diesel engine | Case IH | MyCNHi US Store

IH 674 Function groups. International diesel tractor (north america) | Case IH | MyCNHi US Store

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #18  
Hi,

I bought my first tractor at auction. I wanted something cheap that ran and that I could learn how to work on. This one was exactly what I was looking for. It’s an International 674 diesel with the D239. It was running in the auction video that I’ll post below and I got it for just $2400. With tax and the expense of getting it home (it cost more because I messed up) I now have around $3100 into it or so. It’s real rough cosmetically, but the engine sounded really good in the video. I’m excited to get the issues fixed and up to running nice. Here are the issues so far that it has.

1. Diesel in the oil. This is why I haven’t started it yet at home. I’ve read this is generally a bad “lip seal” in the injector pump, but I have been unable to find a seal that would fit that description. The only seal I see near the shaft of the pump is the gasket. Does anyone know the seal I’m looking for? Do they still sell them? I actually don’t mind buying a whole new injector pump since these are so expensive and somewhat hard to find. It would be nice to know I’ve got a brand new one.

2. I don’t see a sediment bowl anywhere, but these are supposed to have them, right?

3. it doesn’t appear this can have a loader and a ROPS at the same time because they both bolt to the rear axle. Is that correct? Could I take a ratchet strap and try to bend the bottom of the ROPS and for a loader frame next to it?

I bought all the blue ribbon manuals from peaceful creek I think is the name. The parts book was already handy because I was able to see the line that’s leaking is a fuel return line. I want to get this thing running nice and see if I can get a few years out of it. If so when I upgrade I can try my hand at doing a full nut and bolt rebuild of it.

Any help is appreciated, hopefully I can get it mechanically sound then do a quick paint job to hold it over till I’m ready to do a complete rebuild of it. I’ve heard these tractors are tanks which will make it worth it to invest in. Any knowledge or warnings about this tractor that you have would be very helpful.

Thanks!

videos:

Need Manuals? Best place to start.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #19  
Is there a drive gear on the pump? They generally use a fuel filter not a sediment bowl. The seal is in behind there.You should be able to get a used loader to put on there. those are great old tractors. They don't have the DEF and elecrical issues of the new ones.

/ Finally bought my first ever tractor! International 674! Help a rookie fix it! #20  
Check your glowplug or thermostart...same thing.