Filming in Public Places?

/ Filming in Public Places? #71  
Personal feelings vs legal / illegal. Officers of the law are supposed to know the difference , often that’s not the case. The fall back position being they will let the judge decide. Would be nice if that burden wasn’t all on the taxpayers back.
I think LEOs are in an impossible situation these days. It wasn’t that long ago when people respected and followed simple instructions. People were decent and didn’t want to escalate every encounter.

That isn’t the case now. Many people resist and fight back. LEOs are constantly questioned and publicly lynched for anything other than sitting there and taking verbal abuse from every person they encounter.

There are bad people in every occupation everywhere. So yes there are bad LEOs out there, but there is way more bad perps now then ever. Soon there won’t be any LEOs because who in there right mind would want that job. I refuse to help, pull over to help in an accident, pull someone out of the ditch. I won’t do it because people are bad, and I don’t want to be sued. So hats off to any person that wants to make a career of that…

Soon it will be easy since every citizen will have to take care of their own business. There will be no one to call no matter what taxpayers pay. Judges won’t really be needed since nothing will be against the law enough to end up in front of a judge.

/ Filming in Public Places? #72  
Soon it will be easy since every citizen will have to take care of their own business. There will be no one to call no matter what taxpayers pay. Judges won’t really be needed since nothing will be against the law enough to end up in front of a judge.
How to reduce crime rate... ignore it and it does not count.

/ Filming in Public Places? #73  
I think LEOs are in an impossible situation these days. It wasn’t that long ago when people respected and followed simple instructions. People were decent and didn’t want to escalate every encounter.
The court of public opinion does not do them any favors. (IMO)

/ Filming in Public Places? #74  
Last edited:
   / Filming in Public Places? #75  
A couple years ago I had a "larger than normal" drone come down/crashed in my western pasture. This is on the far west end of my property - half mile west of my house. Only knew about it because it came over my yard while I was outside. So - on my ATV and found it in the pasture. Copied down the specifics from the side and returned home to call LEO. There was a vehicle in my yard when I got home.

A couple military types waiting to talk to me. They were not snooping with this drone. It had been launched from Fairchild AFB. The air force base is a good 18 miles NE of my property. They had lost control of the drone and it went on its merry way until the batteries went kapuut. GPS located the drone in my pasture.

They were most happy to find it and that it hadn't had a bad experience with any of my big 'ol pine trees.

/ Filming in Public Places? #76  
There is no right to privation publicity but what you describe sounds like one of the “1st amendment auditors” that’s trending on YouTube. They basically just make a nuisance until they get arrested then complain that they were trying to exercise their 1st amendment rights or whatever. Highly annoying, just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should…and if you do you should still have some consideration of others.

Not all are for this purpose. It's to show the public that citizens have rights and to educated law enforcement.

/ Filming in Public Places? #77  
A couple years ago I had a "larger than normal" drone come down/crashed in my western pasture. This is on the far west end of my property - half mile west of my house. Only knew about it because it came over my yard while I was outside. So - on my ATV and found it in the pasture. Copied down the specifics from the side and returned home to call LEO. There was a vehicle in my yard when I got home.

A couple military types waiting to talk to me. They were not snooping with this drone. It had been launched from Fairchild AFB. The air force base is a good 18 miles NE of my property. They had lost control of the drone and it went on its merry way until the batteries went kapuut. GPS located the drone in my pasture.

They were most happy to find it and that it hadn't had a bad experience with any of my big 'ol pine trees.

Very good story.

It amazes me the military can launch cruise missiles from ships a 1000 miles away and hit the target precisely. Yet, they can lose control of a drone?

I guess the cruise missile costs a few more dollars than a drone.

/ Filming in Public Places? #78  

I've never had that problem. But I don't push the envelope.

For some reason it "forgot" where "home" (launch location) was. It picked a direction and flew until the battery got low enough to force "critical land". If it had been over a pond it would have went swimming.

I'm sure they were also glad it hadn't caused a ruckus with your homestead or livestock.

If my drone loses contact with the controller it activates the go home mode. I have it programmed to go to an altitude of 100' above the launch location and then return. It tells me that it's doing so. I have a cancel button I can push if the drone is within site and I want to control it's return. I can also cancel critical land mode until the battery is within a few seconds of dead, then it lands regardless.

/ Filming in Public Places? #79  
Very good story.

It amazes me the military can launch cruise missiles from ships a 1000 miles away and hit the target precisely. Yet, they can lose control of a drone?

I guess the cruise missile costs a few more dollars than a drone.
First military drone I saw was in Iraq 2004. Was a styrofoam fixed wing with a wingspan of about 6ft. Gas powered cox airplane engine. Carried a gopro style camera. 3 man crew. One running the drone off a laptop. Was only used for observation. They'd try to catch it upon return so it didn't crash and bust the styrofoam. :)

One time they were getting ready to launch it and I wanted to take some pics. Even though I outranked them, they politely asked me to not take pics. I obliged.

/ Filming in Public Places? #80  
The United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit recently issued an opinion in National Press Photographers Association v. McCraw, a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of Texas’ drone privacy law. The Texas law was upheld.

This article has a link to the court‘s opinion:
https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2023/11/27/us-court-of-appeals-upholds-texas-drone-privacy-law/
I am not sure that differs from any state now. You can’t peeping Tom with a drone anywhere. Fly over is fine, just can’t take images. You can’t even fly over people now at all, “OOP” is against the rules.