Fill 20# tank from 500 gallon tank?????

/ Fill 20# tank from 500 gallon tank????? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I have a propane heater like this one. For the last few days a construction friend and I are building a tack room in the horse stable and it's been 20-30 degrees, so this heater makes it tolerable for me.
Today I had our 500 gallon tank filled, they used to fill small tanks but no more so I had to have it refilled at their office. There's an adapter hose you can get to do that but office apparently for legal reasons couldn't tell me where to get it, how to fill, etc. "Check YouTube" was their answer.
Anyone know what I need and how to do it thanks!
12"×18" standard 20 pound (I think it's called) tank, used for grills, etc.
2022_01_11_18.30.20.jpg

/ Fill 20# tank from 500 gallon tank????? #2  
This is not what you asked, but have you looked into how much money you could save vs. going to a local tank exchange?

I tried to refill a similar tank at a propane company, and they wouldn't do it. There are rules about how old the tank can be, and they need to verify that the old tank is in good condition.

I guess it depends on how often you plan to use up the small tank. I didn't think it was worth the hassle and potential risk.

/ Fill 20# tank from 500 gallon tank????? #3  
you need to buy a wet tap, where it pulls liquid, when i asked, but like you, they were very limited on telling me anything.

/ Fill 20# tank from 500 gallon tank?????
My 500 gallon does have a wet tap I'm pretty sure. They give me a good price but taking tank by office it was 20 cents/ gallon more expensive. No big deal but a hassle. I'd rather just fill it here.

/ Fill 20# tank from 500 gallon tank????? #6  
   / Fill 20# tank from 500 gallon tank????? #8  
'Where's your neighbor, Son?'

'Blowed up Sir'

'Did he said 'blowed up'?'

'There was an ... accident at the tank.'

Hey @gasman1075 , what say ye?

/ Fill 20# tank from 500 gallon tank????? #9  
'Where's your neighbor, Son?'

'Blowed up Sir'

'Did he said 'blowed up'?'

'There was an ... accident at the tank.'

Hey @gasman1075 , what say ye?
Not worth the risk filling tanks at home. I have been handling liquid propane for over 40 years and I take my 20lb to the fill station and have it filled. As far as the space heater make sure it has a tip over safety switch. Those work great but get really HOT

/ Fill 20# tank from 500 gallon tank????? #10  
I have a propane heater like this one. For the last few days a construction friend and I are building a tack room in the horse stable and it's been 20-30 degrees, so this heater makes it tolerable for me.
Today I had our 500 gallon tank filled, they used to fill small tanks but no more so I had to have it refilled at their office. There's an adapter hose you can get to do that but office apparently for legal reasons couldn't tell me where to get it, how to fill, etc. "Check YouTube" was their answer.
Anyone know what I need and how to do it thanks!
12"×18" standard 20 pound (I think it's called) tank, used for grills, etc.View attachment 728864
What I have is probably not the same as what you're asking for - but I did have a connection added to my propane line just prior to the main one that comes into the house.

That connection is designed so I can run my generator straight off of our main propane tank for an extended length of time. That auxiliary outlet has its own regulator. The auxiliary outlet was installed by my propane dealer, for a nominal charge, of course.

I still keep a few of the 20# bottles around for a quick short-term need. As an aside note, I found that the bottles sold at the stop & rob store usually have only 18# or so of propane whereas the propane dealer actually fills to 20#.