Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #971  
I just got a good laugh! Tears streaming laugh!!!! Power from gas with the wifes blessing.
So, on the first date with my wife, I did the old “pull my finger “trick, and she laughed! That’s when I knew I had a keeper.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #972  
Just caught this thread- there are 5 proposed solar farms in my township at the moment. A company approaches the landowner to lease the land for X number of years with an attractive return per acre. I sit on the twp. planning commission and two of us have had phone calls from these companies, or representatives of them. I was promised "in the neighborhood" of $1,000/acre/year to lease. I don't believe it for a second. We had no code for solar installations, so we are in the midst of developing some. For instance, who or what will manage the vegetation around the panels? Is there enough room to maneuver fire equipment inside? There must be an 8 foot chain link fence surrounding the panel area. There's setback requirements, gate size, green plantings around the perimeter of at least 8 feet for aesthetics and so on. There is requirements as to dissolving the site and disposal of the panels and service lines when they are out of service, and reclaiming the land. That being said, our area is being developed at an alarming rate. There isn't much money in farming these days. A solar farm utilizes the land without pressure on our utilities and infrastructure, which is taxed already. It lets the landowner hold on to his land and maybe make a buck (I doubt $1,000 per acre). While I'm not very excited about solar farms, for our area it beats housing developments. We have 6 developments on 3 sides of our farm, including 182 lot development in progress. I guess I'd rather have panels for neighbors. At least they wouldn't make it dangerous to get from one end of the farm to the other.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #973  
when I was a kid, my mom had a cat that was a killing machine. Mice, rats, chipmunks, squirrels (flying squirrels, too), rabbits, opossums, birds, birds, birds.
I've had a couple cats like that. No pet door so the only way we'd get a "gift" is if the cat caught it inside. Not much of a small rodent problem here!
Give me a cat over a dog any day of the week.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #975  
So, on the first date with my wife, I did the old “pull my finger “trick, and she laughed! That’s when I knew I had a keeper.
Just remember to tell your wife that if you accidentally toot under the covers in bed, it's no longer called a dutch oven. It is now known as a covid test. If you can smell something, it means you don't have Covid.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #976  

What are the new battery and mineral standards?​

Currently, you can claim $3,750 of the $7,500 EV tax credit if at least half of the value of your vehicle's battery components are manufactured or assembled in North America and the other $3,750 if at least 40% of critical minerals -- like graphite, lithium and cobalt -- are sourced from the US or a trade partner. Both requirements increase in the coming years.
Right, but now tell me where the minerals for those batteries are coming from and how they’re procured….

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #977  
Some people have got together in one of our communities and are planning on installing a huge multi-acre solar farm on property adjacent to my daughter's and sister-in-law's property. They will be surrounded to the north and south of their properties and across the road. Their property value will go to nearly nothing.

Has anybody fought the installation of one of these?

Any ideas?

RSKY

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #978  
Boy howdy, I am amazed at the number of new member posters on this thread. Some with this thread as their first post.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #979  
Wow!
(a) citation, please
(b) like with Nuclear Plants?
(c) Yes and no. but once it is here, it's American labor that builds and, maintains them and- as any businessman knows its the LABOR COSTS that getcha.
(d) Government 'subsidizes' all manner of ****- I'd happily bet a dollar that you enjoy a benefit or two of one or another or even many 'government subsidies.' e.g. Got a cell phone? Use an Internet? Drive on an Interstate? Use a GPS in your vehicle? Tractor? Combine? Purchase Gasoline? Diesel? Consume goods from another County, State, Country? Get emails from the county AG Center? Take medicine? Snail mail anything?

The landowner's simply looking to employ his land to it's highest and best use likely turning unproductive acreage into an income stream, profit center with depreciation or a triple net lease with semi-annual COLA increases - it's capitalism Jake.
I normally won't do folks research for them... But here. Can wind turbines harm wildlife? | U.S. Geological Survey Now go look up eagle deaths. Same for solar farms in Arizona and California.
The failure rate of nuclear plants PALES in comparison to wind turbines. When was the last "melt down" in the US? I say the US since we use different tech than the others. Even Japan's melt down was a fluke caused by poor location and a tsunami. Now, look up how often and the varying reasons the turbines fail. It's rather interesting and one of these green thumbs ought to make a better on, in the US.
Ah, we should be a service only economy. Well, replacement parts for this sub standard equipment is also very expensive and what a delay in getting them, if the model has any left.... Green energy has turned into a business that profits the few while causing many other issues one being the disposal of the failed parts.
I've paid for decades to subsidize government hand outs. I've been an early adopter of tech since the late 70's and it continues today BUT, I know whereI'm going and can drive a straight line so no GPS used or needed. Your point is invalid as since this country produces little, a bit of what you buy comes from out of the country. The government simply should not be subsidizing anything as in doing so, THEY pick winners. If a product is needed or that great, the market will determine the rest.... THAT is capitalism. This thread was about property rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.