Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #561  
When the turbine's complete life is over, why would someone want to take the concrete foundation out? That's silly. You can plow and plant right up to the base that's sticking up out of the ground. You'd have about a 20 foot diameter circle that couldn't be farmed. That's a little over 300 square feet. There's over 43,500 square feet in an acre.

So in the big picture, it would take 145 wind turbine bases to remove 1 acre of crop land once the towers are removed.
20 feet in diameter??????
Where did you come up with that number???
Possibly 20 meters.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #563  
20 feet in diameter??????
Where did you come up with that number???
Possibly 20 meters.
Typical base of the turbine tower where the concrete stick up out of the ground is about 5 meters in diameter. I fudged and made it larger than it actually is.

The rest of the base is buried underground, and you can put a driveway or a crop right up against that.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #564  
We're finding some common ground here lol

I know it always seems like a strange idea, but I don't think any of them should get subsidies or they should all get equal subsidies
My state gets 3% of its’ energy from renewables and agriculture is our states #1 industry.
So I guess windmills and farming aren’t such a great fit.

Why does every stupid idea have to be dumped on the farmer. It’s always the farmer making the sacrifice, having to adapt, having to change.

Why don’t cities and suburbs make the sacrifice for solar & windmills? That’s the only people who want them. They can put up with the large mirror reflections or the whooshing sounds
Hay Dude,
We continue to see more eye - to - eye each post. To be frank, I think wind is at the bottom of the renewable options. I do not disagree with the eye sore opinion nor the fact that they break up farm land. I spent many hours of my childhood filling in ground hog holes and pulling rocks out of fields. I actually believe wind just works better on a smaller scale, powering the specific location it is in.

And I could not agree with you anymore about what is put on farmers. Farming basically stopped in our family when I decided to go to college. My father was a small beef farmer on the side and my grandfather was a life-long, small herd dairy farmer. Farming was pretty much my life for the first 21 years of it. I've watched countless small farms in our area be gathered up by the slightly bigger farms in the area (if they were lucky) or the worse option, be sold for housing properties. Our local grain farmer leases our land. He is having a hard time keeping his leasing grounds because farmland is selling for $20,000 and acre and he just can't keep up with that. My sister and I are struggling to keep our cousins from wanting to sell out also. As much as we do not want to, my we have been shopping for options and would put wind turbines or solar panels on it to keep it. The average, small farmer has been pushed out of the market by factory farming, growing beef in Brazil, etc. Some of these other options are all we have.

It breaks my heart to see all the people in the county just south of me losing all of their small farm land to the strip mining that's happening. Not for American energy, but for a company in a dying industry to squeeze out just a little more profit.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #565  
This is one of 150ish wind turbines located near Elwood, IN.

18.3' in diameter.

(click to enlarge)

5D684DF3-4E4B-45CF-93C4-B67F125BC4C9.jpeg

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #566  
Here's one from the wind farm near Brookston, IN. They have 350+ turbines there. About 18' in diameter.

(click to enlarge)

581842EC-F773-4828-8A10-087CCDC80B43.jpeg

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #567  
Yea, and the chunk of land out of production is much larger and all that for unreliable inconsistent power, whoopee :poop:

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #568  
All the wind farm contracts I have seen include a demolition bond, the removal of at least 4' of concrete is prepaid before construction ever begins. there's no need to remove more than 4' of concrete. The farmland lost to an active wind turbine is less than an acre, most of that is for the access road. The concrete base is about 30' in diameter.
Right, which all that screws up the farmland.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #569  
Yea, and the chunk of land out of production is much larger and all that for unreliable inconsistent power, whoopee :poop:
Lou, to be clear, I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of wind farms at all. But facts are facts. When the tower is gone, all that's left is a 20' circle. And as someone else pointed out, it's in a contract to remove the top 4' of concrete if it comes to that. So the land could be farmed right over that 20' circle if it comes to that.

Of course, holding someone to that contract, just like any other industry, is yet to be seen.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #570  
Since it would be ground mounted I was wondering how hard it would be to do it myself and then hire an electrician to run the wires to my house?
In most places if to be grid-tie the utility company has requirements it be "designed" by a graduate of NABCEP industry propaganda lobbyists.

And then the electrician probably rightly so to protect his reputation will insist on going over every wire and electrical connection you have made before signing off on it and making the final connection.

Where I am building the utility engineer told me that any generation buy-back was between me and TVA. That they had an exclusive to purchase power only from TVA. But, I could feed my excess to their grid if I wanted. However they would require a $4,000 remote disconnect supposedly to protect linemen from the possibility of my system exciting the lines during an outage and harming workers.

TVA requires "design" by an NABCEP graduate. They use the granted monopoly to command a premium price.

Status
Not open for further replies.