Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,101  
I have solar panels installed on my home and I have no electric bill, plus I get a money back for supplying the electric grid with my excess production.
I understand it’s not the same as a solar farm but we have to start somewhere to get off oil.
WHY?

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,102  
I think this is why we want to reduce emissions. As I have said, if we threw garbage on our front lawns all our lives, eventually the yard gets full.

This is not just Beijing, we saw the same kind of thing in Cairo, Bangkok, Mumbai. and even back in the 80's in LA.
I remember we worked in the center of two mountain ranges east of LA back in the late 80's, my friend had been out there 3 years.
One day the Santa Ana winds came through and it was the first time he said he could see both mountain ranges.
One was 5 miles away, the other 7. Really drove the issue home for me.
1682865805048.png

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,103  
LA is a bowl with 10 million people in it.
I don't see petroleum as the enemy and looking at the Earth as a whole to eliminate all pollution everyone everywhere would have to not use coal, petroleum, wood or burn anything. No forest fires, volcanos and no manufacturing of anything.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,104  
I stayed out of this since my earlier posts, but...

I didn't install a 10.5k system, that created 15M each year to save the planet, I did it to control my energy costs. Rates in CT always climb up. Eversourse is in the business to make money. I even invested in them 50 years ago, reinvest dividents, so they are making me money.
I don't care how "green" solar is or isn't. You could argue all forms of energy production is "dirty". Yes, some more than others.
Figuring that I didn't get an incentive from Gov, I did, but in @11ish years, the system paid for itself, that includes the time to cover the incentive if I didn't receive. It did pay for itself in my case, as well as others on here.
The government only cares about your ability to keep providing them with money to spend. I did what was best for me and my family, and it worked.

People will always be able to find "research" online that will prove their agenda. I laugh at most of that posted on here, because my experience is, solar energy worked for me. Someone posted their power generation graph, showing that their system worked, and others are using apps or whatever to show him he was wrong. You will never convince me, or him, that solar doesn't work, because we have first hand experience that it does. My claim is it worked for my family, I could care less if it could or couldn't work to power the country... Remember, the Gov only cares about you for 1 reason.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,105  
I think this is why we want to reduce emissions. As I have said, if we threw garbage on our front lawns all our lives, eventually the yard gets full.
We are reducing emissions ......But the issue is how we do it and how we measure the results.

Elimination of Fossil fuels is a nice virtue signal but impracticable. If we look at the big picture of fossil fuels compared with intermittent alternatives such as wind and solar then the moral case for fossil fuels (which has a rich history of improving livelihoods and building strong economies) should not be discarded using tactics that generally don't have much consideration for the people of our planet.
Everyone wants clean air and water ....but Co2 emissions should not be the targeted single measurement because the science doesn't support that a reduction in Co2 emissions actually cleans the air. (incidentally Co2 is a non toxic gas that the planet needs (an abundance of) to support life.) About 95 % of it comes from our own natural environment not from man made emissions.

I suspect that your photo of LA contains mostly particulates and sulfur dioxide gases and very little Co2. Also most metropolitan areas with similar weather conditions like LA that have frequent air inversion with sparse rainfall will always have more prominent issues with stagnant air. So your example is unique in a sense with say Chicago for example. As you noted "between two mountain ranges"= a valley for stagnant air to settle in.

So we can eliminate manufacturing and reduce pollution, but when it transfers to China, India, Brazil, and other developing nations how does that make the planet cleaner?
Logic tells us to continue to work towards cleaner air and water to improve our conditions at home but noting at the same time, fossil fuels, by every measure, has made peoples lives better. We should use every available energy source and keep progressing towards cleaner air and water.....We don't do this by "cooking the books" used to support a particular agenda with money and control at the forefront. Once we replace education with indoctrination everything becomes subjective, including human beings.

Last edited:
   / Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,106  
Global climate agenda aside, is there any doubt that the local pollution would be reduced with the reduction of burning hydrocarbons for power?
The answer to that depends on what energy sources are replacing it. If it’s wind or solar, those types require a lot of precious metals mining, batteries, etc. Much of which is foreign made.

Look it, we have reduced our carbon emmissions a great deal in the last 40 years. We can’t be overly fanatical and eliminate it all and cause more casualties than we save.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,107  

This is not just Beijing, we saw the same kind of thing in Cairo, Bangkok, Mumbai. and even back in the 80's in LA.
I remember we worked in the center of two mountain ranges east of LA back in the late 80's, my friend had been out there 3 years.
One day the Santa Ana winds came through and it was the first time he said he could see both mountain ranges.
One was 5 miles away, the other 7. Really drove the issue home for me.
View attachment 798327

That was almost 40 years ago. We have done a lot to clean up our water & air since then.

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,108  
Global climate agenda aside, is there any doubt that the local pollution would be reduced with the reduction of burning hydrocarbons for power?

For the first problem we don’t have any other viable options besides nuclear. But is someone running a clapped out 988 loader in a 3rd world country with zero emissions or mine standards to get the materials to build your batteries supposed to be clean?

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,109  
I feel sorry for your daughter. We have had several large scale solar projects in our area the last couple of years, they are installed on good agriculture lands.
I have several very mixed feelings on this type of project. I believe that they should be installed on marginal ground, pasture , brush lots and such not on good arable ground.
Also the appearance of these things is not the nicest view in the world.
Then we have the other side;
it is their property, it is theirs to do with as they see fit, they are the ones paying the taxes on that property, they are trying to make some money off their property.
It is private property what right does someone have to tell property owners what to do with their private property.

Besides look at the bright side it could be a 5000 head hog farm, or 20,000 unit poultry setup.
You misspelled “on golf courses“…

/ Fighting 'Solar Farm' Installation #1,110  
I don't mind solar panels, there have been times that I would rather stare at them than the noisy neighbors.
If it isn't their ATVs, loud music, party's, or fighting..... I would swap them for solar panels any day, and they live 100 yds away!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.