Field testing a recovery loop until something fails.

/ Field testing a recovery loop until something fails. #1  

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
Field testing a recovery loop here. Steady pull, not dynamic recovery. Several receiver failures.

Bruce

/ Field testing a recovery loop until something fails. #2  
Field testing a recovery loop here. Steady pull, not dynamic recovery. Several receiver failures.

Bruce
They were purposely testing to the failure point. It's not very often that a pickup would have a Cat earth mover behind it, nor is it likely that the average person would be pulling with a D8. The front receiver hitch failed at about 21,000# of steady pull and the rear at 24500#. Pretty impressive actually, the average pickup will never exceed that in a steady pull.
However, if one wanted to hook to a stuck vehicle with a 30' strap and accelerate under full throttle until it hit the end, all bets are off. That scenario is what kinetic ropes are for.

/ Field testing a recovery loop until something fails. #3  
You can get anything on Pew Tube including lots of irrevelant advertisements.

/ Field testing a recovery loop until something fails. #4  
I bought a 'Yankem' for my use. Not cheap. I use it to pull unfortunate souls out of the ditch during snowstorms when they get stupid. We have deep ditches on each side of the roads out here. I've never 'yanked' on any of them. I get the Yankem taught and dead pull them and of course I always have them attach the end to their vehicle. That limits my liability should I pull their bumper off or screw un a suspension component. So far (5 years and numerous ditched vehicles) not an issue.

/ Field testing a recovery loop until something fails. #5  
I bought a 'Yankem' for my use. Not cheap. I use it to pull unfortunate souls out of the ditch during snowstorms when they get stupid. We have deep ditches on each side of the roads out here. I've never 'yanked' on any of them. I get the Yankem taught and dead pull them and of course I always have them attach the end to their vehicle. That limits my liability should I pull their bumper off or screw un a suspension component. So far (5 years and numerous ditched vehicles) not an issue.
Most people don't understand you're not supposed to "Yank" the stuck vehicle so hard, just a little momentum is all you need.

How fast can I go when performing a Recovery with a Kinetic Rope?​

Momentum is your best friend when performing a recovery with a Kinetic rope, however if you are using the right rope for weight of both vehicles, then we do not recommend going any faster than 5MPH.