FFC V-Plow for FEL - First Impressions

/ FFC V-Plow for FEL - First Impressions #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
New tool/toy this year is an 8-foot SSQA V-plow made by FFC. Now we've had our first snow (16 inches with 1.3 inch water content) and I've plowed 2 driveways with parking areas that total nearly 1/2 mile. Nobody around here had one of these, so I purchased without ever actually seeing one, which was sort of scary. The winter is far from over, but here are my first impressions:

CONSTRUCTION/FEATURES: This is a big, heavy plow. They did not skimp on materials and the unit appears nicely made. It is 32" tall and weighs about half a ton. It is intended primarily for skid steers and is equipped with the standard SSQA. This plow is attached to its skid steer plate using a ball mount that provides free float in 360 degrees. FFC says it is 5 degrees of float. It feels like at least that much. The plow comes with a cycling valve that allows the angling cylinders on both sides to be controlled with 1 hydraulic circuit for 30 degree left, right, Vee, and scoop. It is also possible to stop it in the middle, such as straight. I run it off one of my rear remotes. The plow has a trip edge -- the rest of the plow is rigid.

PROS: I am impressed how easily this plow moves snow with my MX5100. Cutting back a 3 foot bank that was already re-frozen was like cutting warm butter. If you've never used a V-plow, it might be hard to imagine how useful the scoop mode is when clearing a parking area or pushing back a big pile. I have not used the V-position yet. The float is what makes this a good match for a tractor FEL. I drop the plow to a couple inches off the ground, set the curl, drop the FEL a bit more until about half the float is used up, and good to go. 8 feet is a good size for this tractor. Dealers who told me 8 ft is too big were flat wrong, a 7 foot would not cover the wheel tracks when angled.

CONS: As others on this forum have said, having a plow this big on an FEL may not be a good choice for someone with a dirt/gravel driveway and a nice lawn. It took me several attempts to learn to set the curl properly, and meanwhile I moved quite a bit of road base off my driveway. (Ground was not frozen prior to this storm.) As mentioned above, this blade has a trip edge. If you run into a rock 2 feet high, or a curb 7 inches high (if they have curbs where you live) then you are going to bang the plow, and your FEL arms. Also counter weight is a big deal. Currently I have a heavy rear blade mounted, but will soon build a 800 pound 3-pt counter weight. Kind of nice having a rear blade on there, but also makes the unit LONG. Very long. Finally the obvious remaining "con" is cost. I found a nearly 3 year old plow that basically hadn't been used and got a nice discount, but in general you can expect to pay nearly $4k for these. You can get a "pre-owned" straight blade with SSQA for less than $2k.

SUMMARY: This plow is made for moving serious snow, and I'm hoping we get some this winter. (Drifting is assured, but actual snow depth, who knows?) Photos below.

IMG_2838.jpgIMG_2835.jpgIMG_2836.jpgIMG_2837.jpg

/ FFC V-Plow for FEL - First Impressions #2  
Nice setup.

/ FFC V-Plow for FEL - First Impressions #3  
Looks like quite a tool! 1000 lbs., but plows are heavy.

The vee setting might be good in really heavy snow. You could go up the center, sort of divide and conquer, then make a half-plow pass on each side.

Does it have shoes? I know if you ask five people about plow shoes, you will get five opinions. :laughing: But, they aren't dealing with the curl FEL function either.

I have a plow for my truck, but I don't use it unless there is good frozen snow-ice cover on my gravel drive, or the weather is just too miserable for my open station tractor and I wimp out.

/ FFC V-Plow for FEL - First Impressions
It does come with shoes, at this point I have them set all the way down. On the first day they just buried themselves if I put much weight on them, but now with ground getting firm they are gouging maybe an inch at most during the day, or nothing at all first thing in the morning. My idea with the V-plow is to use it to break into drifts that are too stiff to drive into with my unimog, then use the mog's blower. Last winter I used the FEL bucket, but I could only do a small stretch at a time before running the blower. Now I plan to break a strip with the plow and then blow both sides.

/ FFC V-Plow for FEL - First Impressions #5  
Soft driveway topping is a challenge. Not bad once it gets frozen but hard to stay out of until then. Even with a FEL bucket, with a really wet snow and no ice below, the weight accumulation in the bucket can pull it into "submarine diving" mode. :)

Since you clear a lot of area/length, maybe it would be worthwhile to experiment with some custom shoes that have more surface area? They would have to be free to rotate for the vee function.

/ FFC V-Plow for FEL - First Impressions #6  
You had this plow for 2 seasons. How's it doing??

I was looking for a V plow that I could get to work with my Front Aux controls without adding. I assume they have some Valving on the plow to do the sequencing?

Yes, there is a sequencing valve. I run the plow off one of the rear remotes with a pair of hoses that run to the FEL with skid steer (flat face) connectors. After two seasons I still really like the plow. I've gotten better at finessing the position so that I am not tearing up the driveway as much when it is soft, and I'm going to extend the skid shoes by about 3/4 inch this coming season.
20150305_133301.jpg

/ FFC V-Plow for FEL - First Impressions #9  
Nice vid, some scary side drops on that road of his.

That is a cool video. His plow is barely wide enough to span his tracks in V-mode, but the lanes are narrow so it looks like it works out ok.