Spreader Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type

/ Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type #22  
I don't have one yet, but I am considering the purchase of a Kubota spreader: http://www.kubota.com/product/Spreaders/VSModels.aspx?. The one I saw at my local dealer looked like it was a notch above the other spreaders I have seen.

Steve

Excellent advice. These Kubota spreaders are made by Vicon (now part of Kubota) and are the Cadillac of spreaders. I have used Vicon spreaders for 25 years and they are the best. In fact, I just bought a VS400 Kubota to use commercially with my existing Vicon spreader.

These are easy to clean, nearly rustproof and amazing accurate. Plus, when you're done your tractor isn't covered in fertilizer. I can't recommend these highly enough nor can I advise any stronger to stay away from those cone spreaders unless you can live with their issues mentioned.

Last edited:
   / Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type #23  
I just got my spreader back after letting someone use it for a year. It's ruined. The bottom has completely rusted out and is nothing more than a parts unit now. I'm supposed to use it tomorrow and hopefully some cardboard and duct tape can limp me for one last ride. Very disappointed in the quality. He told me he washed it out after every use and I believe him. Doesn't appear to have a spec of fert in it.

Buy the poly one. The metal can and will rust unless your super **** about detailing everything after every use.

Brett

/ Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type #24  
I just got my spreader back after letting someone use it for a year. It's ruined. The bottom has completely rusted out and is nothing more than a parts unit now. I'm supposed to use it tomorrow and hopefully some cardboard and duct tape can limp me for one last ride. Very disappointed in the quality. He told me he washed it out after every use and I believe him. Doesn't appear to have a spec of fert in it.

Buy the poly one. The metal can and will rust unless your super **** about detailing everything after every use.

Brett

I agree with you but you can make them survive if you wash them IMMEDIATELY after use and then blow dry and soak 100% with spray oil. I kept one almost rust free for 10 years this way but it's a pain in the rear. Just washing it is no good without the oil.

Plus, I never loan tools because this stuff always happens.

/ Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type #25  
I have the Land Pride. It is the same thing as the Cosmo at Agri Supply with poly hopper and stainless steel gates and spinner. My first spreader rusted to pieces even with cleaning and oiling. Hopefully this one will last longer, and Agri Supply carries parts.

/ Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type #26  
Bought a Farm Star off craigslist that needed work but the price was right. Discovered Agri Supply had every part I needed for the rebuild including new plates and gear box, ends up it's the same as the non Cosmo they sell and the parts are inexpensive. Priced the same parts from Farm Star and the price was about triple what Agri Supply wanted. Bought almost everything on the bottom end and still only ended up with a total investment of about half what a new one would cost.

/ Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type #27  
I've been researching as well...around here Tractor Supply now carries the Cosmo 500---not what they used to carry which had terrible reviews. The Cosmo brand is a quality spreader and built overseas--Italy I believe. We also have Orschelns here and they carry the Farmstar brand--USA made and also a quality spreader. They are both around $469. Wish we had local access to someone carrying the Agrex spreaders...Everything Attachments has me sold on those but shipping costs too high since I'm over 1000 miles from them.

For my 3 acres can't seem to justify $300 more for a Frontier (built by Befco, I think) or the Landpride.

/ Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type #28  
I don't have one yet, but I am considering the purchase of a Kubota spreader: http://www.kubota.com/product/Spreaders/VSModels.aspx?. The one I saw at my local dealer looked like it was a notch above the other spreaders I have seen.

Steve

Thanks for the link, looks like a good choice. I may buy a new one this year and like these from what I see. Definitely better than the $600 dollar spin spreader I have now.

/ Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type #29  
Thanks for the link, looks like a good choice. I may buy a new one this year and like these from what I see. Definitely better than the $600 dollar spin spreader I have now.

Buy the Kubota. It's really a Vicon since Kubota bought Vicon and they are the best spreader on the market. Kubota dramatically reduced the price and their small spreader is priced to be available to anyone. Plus, they are stainless and plastic so a simple washing when done is all it takes to clean it. Kubota is pretty clever in buying Vicon and I think will eventually dominate the spreader market.

The 403 size spreader--the middle size-is priced below $2,000. The same thing when it was a Vicon was $4,500 or more. I have owned them for decades and they are as accurate as can be and easy to use and handle.

/ Fertilizer Spreader 3pt hitch type #30  
Buy the Kubota. It's really a Vicon since Kubota bought Vicon and they are the best spreader on the market. Kubota dramatically reduced the price and their small spreader is priced to be available to anyone. Plus, they are stainless and plastic so a simple washing when done is all it takes to clean it. Kubota is pretty clever in buying Vicon and I think will eventually dominate the spreader market.

The 403 size spreader--the middle size-is priced below $2,000. The same thing when it was a Vicon was $4,500 or more. I have owned them for decades and they are as accurate as can be and easy to use and handle.

I like the size of the 400 series with low loading height. Just right for the fields I laser grade most are 10 acres or less. I would rather reload than have a larger cumbersome model that takes up more room to store.

We now have a Kubota dealer about 75 miles from me so that is something I will check out.