Fergeson-Sherman 14A Plow

/ Fergeson-Sherman 14A Plow #1  

djradz

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I have an old Fergeson Sherman 14A plow that I thought was a two-bottom 14" plow. However, my cousin did a measurement and although the cutting edge for each moldboard is about 15" long, it certainly will not cut two paths each that wide, because of the angle. It looks like q path of about 12" or so will result for each of the two bottoms. I also notice there's a gap of about 4-5 inches between the two. I'm wondering, do I truly have a complete 14A plow or has someone fitted it with parts from a 12"? Although I've always plowed pretty deep, it looks like if I didn't, I'd have a path of unplowed ground running down between each moldboard. Should there be some space? Should the 14A cut two 14" wide paths?

/ Fergeson-Sherman 14A Plow #2  
Measure from the inside of the front bottom beam (top beam holding the plow share/mold board) to the outside of the rear beam. This is the way a plow is mearsured. Some plows are adustable (IH could be adjusted from 12" to 16", but 16" was frowned upon). Most are set at 12 or 14. People used to say 1 horsepower per inch of plow was a good rule of thumb to match a tractor and a plow. BobG in VA

/ Fergeson-Sherman 14A Plow #3  
"it certainly will not cut two paths each that wide, because of the angle"

It's been a while since I've plowed.. just finished refurbishing a 520 McCormick International Moldboard 2 Bottom Plow.

That angle is there for a purpose.. usually on your first pull/pass you have to use your adjustable 3pt arm to level the plow blades.. on the second pull/pass.. one side of the tractor's tires will ride in the ditch from the first pull.. then re-adjust the angle back.. this is the reason for the angle.. or the reason you see one of the connector arm pins on the plow mounted higher then the other. On some plows this higher/lower connector pin positions are adjustable.

/ Fergeson-Sherman 14A Plow
If I understand you right I"m measuring the frame and not the moldboards. Since the frame is not adjustable, but obviously the shares, moldboards and other hardware could be changed, it seems I'm not going to answer my question, but I'll make the measurement and we'll go from there.

/ Fergeson-Sherman 14A Plow #5  
Doesn't matter about the moldboards. Each plow is made to take specific parts. Measure across the beams. That's the width of the plow. BobG in VA

/ Fergeson-Sherman 14A Plow #6  
I've always thought the term xx" bottom plow meant the length of the wearable part that you have to replace from time to time. Was I wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif