Fence Lines

/ Fence Lines #71  
Just a bit of caution...

You will need to train your cattle to the fence. Go to the section "Training cattle to electric fences" for methods:

https://www.grass-fed-solutions.com/livestock-fencing.html

A problem for you, however, is that the fence works both ways, that is there's the issue of it functioning for your neighbor's cattle as well. If they aren't trained to it you're still going to end up with problems. You're going to have to get your neighbor to get cooperative here!

/ Fence Lines #72  
Some of the Texas fence ruling decided..... See below.
I'm still at it with my neighbor, I got his attention when I texted a photo of his Angus bull in my field with this would be the perfect spot to drop him (legal in Idaho, just have to leave it lay). Since then he has been a little more attentive to his animals. Last week though I had his whole herd over, the problem was they were hungry and the grass is most definitely greener on my side (overgrazed by having 300 cows plus calves on it this summer). At this point I tried a different tact, I offered to go over with my big tractor and fork his 8' (?) bales and asked him to show me how he likes to feed them. A little friendlier now but he has Angus and I just bought a small herd of American Wagyu. While he might not care if my bull gets over there, I care if his gets to my side. I just ordered 5 miles of electric fence to put up. Even though the boundary fence is 3' into my property I'm sending him a message that I'm electrifying it, along with 10-11 acres of my property. Figure I'm going high enough power that I should let him know even though it'll be marked. My closest neighbors 1/2 mile away (who are great) will also be notified and I'll put in gates and show them how to use them safely since I've given the permission to come down to do what ever. The kids like to visit the various animals and go fishing/hunting on the river. Hopefully it'll solve most of the problems we have had. He hasn't taken me up on feeding yet but I've went and done it anyways now that I know the signs they need to be fed (seems like always!). It's not like the hay isn't there! I hay my fields but sell most of it, I held back thinking we'd get a "couple" cows now I may be short since we have more than a couple :) Another thing I'll do since these animals attract flies is I'll be rotational grazing with chickens following them 2 days behind(they will have a chicken tractor and a area of protection for moving them), heard that will do wonders keeping them down. And, I get eggs and meat to add to items to sell when I get to that point. Ducks will do the same but my wife is attached to them :) Done with off topic! LOL

Boundary Fences
  • Landowner in Texas has no legal obligation to share in costs or future maintenance of fence built by neighbor, unless there was prior agreement to do so.
  • If a boundary fence is destroyed by natural causes, a neighbor has no legal obligation to contribute to reconstruction.
  • If only one neighbor pays for the fence, it is not a common fence but rather the exclusive property of the builder.
  • If neighbors agree to maintain a portion of the fence, this agreement is legally binding and enforceable.
Spite Fences
  • A landowner has a right to erect a fence or other structure even if it obstructs a neighbor's view, lights, or air.
  • Motive for erecting a fence is typically irrelevant, but property owners can't use their property in a way that constitutes a nuisance.
Tree Trimming
  • Trees forming the actual boundary line between properties can't be removed without the consent of both landowners.
  • A landowner has the right to trim limbs or branches of boundary trees that reach onto his/her property so long as no damage to the other property owner.
  • Branches can be trimmed only up to the property line.
  • A tree's owner is liable for damages caused to an adjacent landowner's property by falling branches.
I found a great spot where my fencer shouldn't "disappear", the old wire was destroyed. No solar this time either, to easy to walk off. I added a large greenhouse this year with power so that's where it's going.

/ Fence Lines #73  
Just a bit of caution...

You will need to train your cattle to the fence. Go to the section "Training cattle to electric fences" for methods:

https://www.grass-fed-solutions.com/livestock-fencing.html

A problem for you, however, is that the fence works both ways, that is there's the issue of it functioning for your neighbor's cattle as well. If they aren't trained to it you're still going to end up with problems. You're going to have to get your neighbor to get cooperative here!
Mine trained fast, I used 1"1/2 tape in their pen to start. His WERE trained at one point but with the voltage and having strands on both sides it should do the trick. I may have a few adjustments but I'm ok with that. Just in case, I have a 56k joule fencer on order also, a bit too strong for what I need but I was planning on putting it up for mating season to keep his and my bull under control. Mine are all bred so I'm good until next fall. His should be bred also and due about the same time. Most of the time I'll keep the smaller on on though, one of the neighbors has a pacemaker and I'd hate to have the big one shock him! Absolutely love my 2 neighbors! :)
I'm going to read that anyways, knowledge never hurts anyone...

/ Fence Lines #74  
I found a great spot where my fencer shouldn't "disappear", the old wire was destroyed. No solar this time either, to easy to walk off. I added a large greenhouse this year with power so that's where it's going.
Yeah, I run my fencer off of mains and the feed wire is a short hop from a [securable] shed I have.

Also be sure to have backup power. I have a backup generator that can power all my mains-connected buildings and stuff. My fencer is dual power, 110v/12v, so IF I needed to run it off a battery (have a deep cycle battery and solar panels) I can, and did so in emergency situations prior to having my generator all patched in and operational: relocated my shed this past summer and needed to use the panels and battery until I hooked up the mains to the shed. (NOTE: My stuff is really small-fry; no matter the scale though, the basics vis a vis management are the same.)

/ Fence Lines #75  
I've never actually raised cattle (I spent years reading up about raising grass fed- circumstances never worked out). I DID, however, have cattle from the neighbor's (leased grazing, so someone else's cattle) come on to my property a couple of times after I first acquired my property. No fencing between my place and the neighbor's as our property was recently split off from theirs (they have over 200 acres); other than it being a maze to traverse and cross between the properties the cattle managed to do just that. We'd had chickens contained within electronet fencing. I watched with amusement as these cattle came up to the fencing (which was actually in our front yard at the time!). And then I had a sense of horror as one of the cattle hit its nose on the fencing. It shock like mad (never experiencing such before) and, fortunately, went in reverse. The horror was the thought that it could have run right into the fencing (pricey stuff) and destroyed it (visions of tangled cattle and scattered chickens and, perhaps, a busted up chicken coop entered my mind)!

/ Fence Lines #76  
From the article, "Once your cattle are trained to electric fences, you'll be amazed at how often a simple length of rope can trick cattle to calmly and quickly do what you want in situations that would be tremendous challenges to more traditional cattle herding tools like cattle prods, ATV's, men on horseback, and lots of rodeo-inspired shouting."
I'm going to try that in the next month just to see if it will work. :)

/ Fence Lines #77  
Yeah, I run my fencer off of mains and the feed wire is a short hop from a [securable] shed I have.

Also be sure to have backup power. I have a backup generator that can power all my mains-connected buildings and stuff. My fencer is dual power, 110v/12v, so IF I needed to run it off a battery (have a deep cycle battery and solar panels) I can, and did so in emergency situations prior to having my generator all patched in and operational: relocated my shed this past summer and needed to use the panels and battery until I hooked up the mains to the shed. (NOTE: My stuff is really small-fry; no matter the scale though, the basics vis a vis management are the same.)
Never say never BUT, we have never lost power. I do have a gen set for the house but I don't for the other two mains on the property. The little one can be powered off a battery with a simple wire switch out. I'm new to farming pretty much. I'm a city boy who married a small town girl so.... I'm keep her happy and me entertained! She is a bit concerned about the 56k joule fencer I ordered but she lost interest when I started to explain the workings and power of the units. :) Just says she won't be touching it. LOL
Electric is the way to go once they are trained, I've watched the neighbors go through every thing. I put up a structural steel gate I made, it held up but they broke the 10" posts I had it mounted to and the gate was so damn heavy you never wanted to mess with it. That was the latest when the whole herd came to visit.
Unless you have 1000 acres, it's all small fry. But yes, it's all in the management and I just hope to learn it all, the right way to do it. Trial and error and keeping a sense of humor. The old neighbor used to run a 10k head herd in his youth with his brothers and has helped a bunch, he just didn't keep up on the tech or the laws. He's 90 so he doesn't need to! Still a better shot than I am also. :)