fence building

/ fence building #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
My wife is finally buying the fence for the horses. Now I get to put it in. What should I use to pull straight lines to guide off of? I have used wooden stakes before but they just pull out. I have some runs that will be about 350'. Should I use a couple T-posts on an angle? How heavy or should I say how light of a string can I use?

/ fence building #2  
Eric, for years around here we put in our corner, gate or tension (the "H" post in the middle of a run) posts and stretch the bottom wire between them and use that as your "line" for putting in your line posts (t-posts or wood pickets). Depending on your terrain you might only need one "H" post in the middle. If your using welded or looped wire (mesh) you'll need to pull a heavy line between the end or "H" posts to use as your guide. Clear as mud? If you have questions just fire away. Good luck.

Jay

/ fence building #3  
what kind of posts are you going to use?

I use 6" treated posts for the corner/"H" post and pull a single strand of temporary nylon fencing to use as a guide for the 4" posts. I put in the two corners then run the guide line and drill away.

/ fence building
Thanks that helps. The front line will be PVC since the wife wants that to look nice. The back will be flex fence from RAMM. Then there will be electric rope to keep the horses off of it. One thing I read was to not pull the line directly along the fence because you can start pushing the line with out knowing it. They suggest having the line a couple inches away so it cannot get disturbed and the reference stays true. Setting the corners and pulling from there does sound a lot easier.

/ fence building #5  
Thanks that helps. The front line will be PVC since the wife wants that to look nice. The back will be flex fence from RAMM. Then there will be electric rope to keep the horses off of it. One thing I read was to not pull the line directly along the fence because you can start pushing the line with out knowing it. They suggest having the line a couple inches away so it cannot get disturbed and the reference stays true. Setting the corners and pulling from there does sound a lot easier.

Which Ramm fence product are you using? I just completed a Ramm fence with 4 rows of coated wire and a top rail of 5.25 flex fence. Its a nice product.

/ fence building
We are using multiple products. The front side facing the house will be PVC so it looks nice. The back side of that pasture will be the 5.25" flex so it matches up nicely. The two back pastures will be 1.25" flex saving about $2000 over the 5.25". We will run the electric rope since the PVC can't take the high tensile wire.