FEL's make good motor pulling hoists

/ FEL's make good motor pulling hoists #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
FEL\'s make good motor pulling hoists

Saturday was change my truck's engine day. I decided to put in a new motor as the Chevy 4.3 was was getting tired. Instead of cleaning out my garage to use my chain fall. I decided to use the Cub 7275 to do the job. There is also much more room in the driveway than in the garage. I only wish that I took a picture of the motor going in or out using the tractor. I was just too dirty to even think of touching my camera. If you are wondering why I pulled the bumper and grille to change the motor? The tranny needs to be dropped out of a S-10 to change the motor. I have found that it is easier to pop off the bumper, grille, remove 8 body bolts and lift the front of the body up 4 inches and just remove the motor. This leaves the tranny and transfer case in the frame.

Attachments

• 476278-DSC01771.JPG
    476278-DSC01771.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 659
   / FEL's make good motor pulling hoists #2  
Re: FEL\'s make good motor pulling hoists

JimR,

Yep, does a nice job.

Just don't leave the motor hanging and expect it to be there very long (next morning?). You could end up with the motor sitting back in the car/floor/ground.

Hydraulic drift. Have used a 4x4 or similar with a notch to prop bucket up if you must leave it suspended.

BTW, an old tire makes a nice "seat" for a motor when you want to set it down...

-JC

/ FEL's make good motor pulling hoists #3  

I haven't used a FEL to pull an engine, but when my brother bought an '84 Suburban with no engine, then bought a 454 engine and transmission from a wrecked one ton truck, and got them rebuilt, I lifted the engine and transmission together with my B2710 FEL to install them into the Suburban. Since we did not remove the grill, it barely lifted high enough. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ FEL's make good motor pulling hoists

</font><font color="blueclass=small">( JimR,

Yep, does a nice job.

Just don't leave the motor hanging and expect it to be there very long (next morning?). You could end up with the motor sitting back in the car/floor/ground.

Hydraulic drift. Have used a 4x4 or similar with a notch to prop bucket up if you must leave it suspended.

BTW, an old tire makes a nice "seat" for a motor when you want to set it down...

-JC )</font>

I was able to lower the motor in by myself with a few trips back and forth to make sure no wires or anything else got ripped or caught up. The newer motors have flat aluminum oil pans. All you need is a 6" tall board to hold them up nowadays.

Attachments

• 476509-DSC01772.JPG
    476509-DSC01772.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 219
   / FEL's make good motor pulling hoists #5  

yep been there done that, on more than one occosion:

we pulled a ford 460 OUT of a '73 LTD then pulled my 400 engine & trans form my 74 cougar to swap in the 460,, unfortuenatly the swap didn't go as planned and the 460 mounts wouldn't fit, (bought right ones I thought, pulled again and started swap to find out the "RIGHT ONES" weren't right after all f@&ing dealer gave me two lefts/rights and wouldn't mount again, so finally gave up. had that old 400 in and out probably 6 times in 4 or 5 years with the 460 all nice & rebuilt waiting to go in, what they say is RIGHT mounts are not, so only option was junkyard parts. and have only ever found 1 set, had them almost all way out when junk yard closed. went back two days later to fint my nearly fully removed mounts GONE! I was so poed!!!

anyhow the exhaust manafolds kept the mounts locked in, and I didn't have handy bottle jack with me other wise I would have had em out and in the cougar.

the 460 still setting in the yard under wraps. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif that was 10 years back now I guess I still have the 400 in the cougar. now the car isn't much worth fixing.

anyhow we used a ford (not sure of model) CUT though not a N something mid 80's I think. lifted the 400 on but the 460 eng & trans made the rears really light as in wouldn't budge it untill a concrete 3pt ballast was added.:)

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ FEL's make good motor pulling hoists #6  

Just did the same recently. One other firefighter and I got volunteered as the lead mechanics for the project of restoring our department's 1930 Seagrave fire engine. We pulled the fire pump and transmission with a big engine hoist borrowed from our city maintence garage, but it wasn't big enough for the engine. The city's street department loaned us one of their old JD backhoes, so we used the FEL as our engine hoist. Worked well, but had a serious leakdown problem. We kept having to start the tractor and raise the FEL back up to keep the engine off the floor while we we fabricating the rolling cradles for the pump, transmission and engine. Now we just have to replace a cracked block to get it running again. Anybody know where we can find an engine block for a 1930 straight six Continental?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif