FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video...

/ FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video... #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
About 2 years ago, I think, I was thinking about getting a FEL snow plow. One of the big issues was that in order for it to articulate 'Right/left', they typically are pushed WAY out front, which is even further than the regular FEL.

As I was investigating, I happened upon a guy in either Northern US or Canada, who was building them with his own design which put the blade much closer to the FEL. I don't remember much more about it, but I believe he also designed it to be self limiting on down pressure from the tractor. He had a YouTube video and a website which was pretty obvious (I believe) that he was building snow plows. ie "snowplows.com" kind of address, (I could be absolutely wrong on this memory and it could have nothing to do with snowplows) but 2 years later, I haven't been able to find either his YouTube videos nor his website. (Apparently, I failed to save either... which is very unlike me, but I can't find them, so my assumption is I did not.)

Anyway, Anyone have any links to someone doing this? They guy, if I remember correctly, did other custom machine/steel work. His videos were NOT overdone, just a guy talking about his snowplow. But, I seem to remember I really liked the thought and design, but the price was a bit steep for me at the time.

I open this to the TBN-iverse hoping for feedback.

Last edited:
   / FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video... #2  
A frequent poster on here made one with a design that he (aptly) termed "under slung". perhaps if you search that word/phrase, you'll find it his thread.

The lazy way to take a truck plow and adapt to a quick-tach plate is just to use the original plow mounts right onto the face of the plate. But as you note, this puts the blade way out front. So you have to hang the plow assembly under the Q/A plate a bit instead, can easily shave a foot of length off. I can't wait to make one myself someday once I get a) a new tractor with Q/A, and B) a welder.

/ FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video... #3  
There are a lot of ads around here for a China made plow with a single cyl running parallel to the blade. I have one, faily close to the loader arms. Priced around $ 1200 cdn. Weighs in at 560 lbs, IIR, seven ft. Minus 25c here right now , don't really want to go out to measure. Listed on kiji Sask, will being up a pic. Prob same thing sold in the US somewhere.

/ FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video... #4  
Try to get a pic off the phone 1C464BF1-BED2-4D34-B985-5335C4D97875.jpeg

/ FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video... #5  
Yahoo, it worked !!!!!!!!!!!!

/ FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video... #6  
About 2 years ago, I think, I was thinking about getting a FEL snow plow. One of the big issues was that in order for it to articulate 'Right/left', they typically are pushed WAY out front, which is even further than the regular FEL.

As I was investigating, I happened upon a guy in either Northern US or Canada, who was building them with his own design which put the blade much closer to the FEL. I don't remember much more about it, but I believe he also designed it to be self limiting on down pressure from the tractor. He had a YouTube video and a website which was pretty obvious (I believe) that he was building snow plows. ie "snowplows.com" kind of address, (I could be absolutely wrong on this memory and it could have nothing to do with snowplows) but 2 years later, I haven't been able to find either his YouTube videos nor his website. (Apparently, I failed to save either... which is very unlike me, but I can't find them, so my assumption is I did not.)

Anyway, Anyone have any links to someone doing this? They guy, if I remember correctly, did other custom machine/steel work. His videos were NOT overdone, just a guy talking about his snowplow. But, I seem to remember I really liked the thought and design, but the price was a bit steep for me at the time.

I open this to the TBN-iverse hoping for feedback.

With a removable FEL, why not replace it with a plow?

/ FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video... #7  
I hope he doesn稚 mind, but here痴 one of the best I致e seen. I intend to copy it when I find a plow.

Quote Originally Posted by TractorNH View Post
Finally finished my underslung plow frame project. Plow is an 8 Fisher Speedcast I picked up on Craigslist for $300, a steal considering it also included all the truck side frame and hydraulics.

The quick attach plate is a 5/16 thick version. The horizontal frame tubes are 3 inch 1/4 inch wall square tubing. I welded a piece of 4 inch 5/16 thick angle flat to the bottom bent part of the QA plate and across the face of the plate to give strength to the QA plate. I then welded the 3 square tube to the bottom of the angle. The support gussets are 3/8 thick plate that was water-jet cut based on a template I had made. I filled the space at the top of the gussets with 1/4 inch flat bar. The rear cross member where the plow attaches is the original truck side lower member that is an I-beam with the mounting pins attached. The verticals between the square tube and the I-beam are pieces of 4 channel notched to fit the I-beam and welded to form a rectangular tube. At the top rear of the QA plate I welded in a piece of 2 inch x 1/4 angle which centers the QA plate between my loader mounts and also reinforces the QA for the chain lift point.

I did a lot of research and looked at A LOT of other designs by users on this site when I was planning my project. I determined that shifting the plow attachment points rearward by using this type of mount removes some of the lateral leverage the plow has on the loader and also shortens the length the plow adds to the tractor. This plow is mounted 14 inches rearward of where it would be if I just attached pin mounts to the face of the QA plate. I could have gone further back but was limited by the two pieces of 3 square tubing (since I found them in a scrap bin and they were free).

Another key factor was the plow had to have a chain to lift it which allows the plow to float on the ground without having to constantly adjust the loader height while plowing. If the plow is rigidly mounted to the QA plate then you either have to keep adjusting the height or use the loader float function. Using the float function is not desirable because it shifts the weight of the loader lift arms to the plow from the front wheels reducing front end traction.

Total money invested is just under $600 which includes the plow, paint, hoses, and crossover relief valve. I probably have about 40 hours into it as well.

To anyone looking to build their own underslung plow I am posting this here so you can steal any of the ideas I used to build mine.

Attachment 568656

Attachment 568657

Attachment 568658

Attachment 568659

Attachment 568660

Attachment 568661

Attachment 568662

Attachment 568663

Attachment 568664

Attachment 568665

Attachment 568666

Attachment 568667

/ FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video... #8  
I'm confused...
Why not just raise the loader arms and attach the plow to the front of the tractor?

/ FEL Snowplow closer to machine... I once saw a video... #9  
I hope he doesn稚 mind, but here痴 one of the best I致e seen. I intend to copy it when I find a plow.

Quote Originally Posted by TractorNH View Post
Finally finished my underslung plow frame project. Plow is an 8 Fisher Speedcast I picked up on Craigslist for $300, a steal considering it also included all the truck side frame and hydraulics.

The quick attach plate is a 5/16 thick version. The horizontal frame tubes are 3 inch 1/4 inch wall square tubing. I welded a piece of 4 inch 5/16 thick angle flat to the bottom bent part of the QA plate and across the face of the plate to give strength to the QA plate. I then welded the 3 square tube to the bottom of the angle. The support gussets are 3/8 thick plate that was water-jet cut based on a template I had made. I filled the space at the top of the gussets with 1/4 inch flat bar. The rear cross member where the plow attaches is the original truck side lower member that is an I-beam with the mounting pins attached. The verticals between the square tube and the I-beam are pieces of 4 channel notched to fit the I-beam and welded to form a rectangular tube. At the top rear of the QA plate I welded in a piece of 2 inch x 1/4 angle which centers the QA plate between my loader mounts and also reinforces the QA for the chain lift point.

I did a lot of research and looked at A LOT of other designs by users on this site when I was planning my project. I determined that shifting the plow attachment points rearward by using this type of mount removes some of the lateral leverage the plow has on the loader and also shortens the length the plow adds to the tractor. This plow is mounted 14 inches rearward of where it would be if I just attached pin mounts to the face of the QA plate. I could have gone further back but was limited by the two pieces of 3 square tubing (since I found them in a scrap bin and they were free).

Another key factor was the plow had to have a chain to lift it which allows the plow to float on the ground without having to constantly adjust the loader height while plowing. If the plow is rigidly mounted to the QA plate then you either have to keep adjusting the height or use the loader float function. Using the float function is not desirable because it shifts the weight of the loader lift arms to the plow from the front wheels reducing front end traction.

Total money invested is just under $600 which includes the plow, paint, hoses, and crossover relief valve. I probably have about 40 hours into it as well.

To anyone looking to build their own underslung plow I am posting this here so you can steal any of the ideas I used to build mine.

Attachment 568656

Attachment 568657

Attachment 568658

Attachment 568659

Attachment 568660

Attachment 568661

Attachment 568662

Attachment 568663

Attachment 568664

Attachment 568665

Attachment 568666

Attachment 568667