Loader FEL loader safety prop

/ FEL loader safety prop
When I grew up loaders on tractors were rare. Had a manual trip manure bucket loader on a 135MF was something special. Loaders are more common now and also are accidents. Don’t think loader cylinder locks were designed for a working load. Man lifts, bucket trucks and telehandlers often have pilot check valves to prevent collapse from a hydraulic line failure. My tractors don’t have that.

For safety equipment to work properly it helps to be easy and available. I added fire extinguishers, mirrors, grill guards, chainsaw and chain holders to improve operational safety. Decades of farming, construction, industrial work experience knows its wrong to be underneath a loader without securing it. I’ve used ratchet straps and chains to secure loaders up for major engine work because of lack of a proper loader cylinder lock.

Hopefully have time this winter to attempt to make a loader cylinder lock for the B26.

Work safe.

/ FEL loader safety prop
Nice stands!

Just installed newly re-enforced grill guard on the M59. Used the loader lock to safely work under the loader.

/ FEL loader safety prop
Studying the safety cylinder prop on the M59 to make something similar work on the B26.

11 pieces total.
5 pieces of steel formed, machined and welded for the prop.
3 pins.
1 lanyard.
1 storage welded tab with pin hole.
1 rubber bumper to protect cylinder rod.

B26 loader geometry about same just scaled down.

Owners of new B26, L39, L45 or similar size tractors have such a safety prop?

/ FEL loader safety prop #15  
Very good ideas!

Just the other day I saw a guy raise another guy up in the tractor bucket to use a chainsaw to trim some branches... surprised Darwin didn't contact either of them that day...
Not uncommon, actually. In our younger days, that would have been me up in the bucket with the chainsaw and my wife driving the tractor. Well, here we are many decades latter none the worse for it.................Thankfully

/ FEL loader safety prop #16  
Not uncommon, actually. In our younger days, that would have been me up in the bucket with the chainsaw and my wife driving the tractor. Well, here we are many decades latter none the worse for it.................Thankfully

I do it as well and I'm 70.

/ FEL loader safety prop #17  
My Branson shipped to the dealer with 2x2 angle iron on both loader arms. I think they ship with the loader up to maximize space on the trailer. I got a pair from the dealer, painted white so I wouldn't miss them and use ladder tied to secure them. Depending on what I'm doing, I sometimes have to store the tractor in the barn with the loader up. This keeps the cylinders from letting the loader down as well as making it safe to work under them

/ FEL loader safety prop #18  
Call me crazy, but a couple of 2x4's jammed under the loader arms does the job.
If the hydraulics did fail, the load on the studs would be static so they should be able to keep the arms held up.
Needless to say I don't spend any extra time standing under it when I need to work in that area:p

/ FEL loader safety prop
Got to be careful when propping up the loader incase something moves, slips, gets bumped or fails. Makings of a deadfall trap.

Last Friday I was bush hogging a mile from the house. Monitoring temperature and twice had to clear vegetation off the grill screen. So having something handy to block the loader up while clearing the grill and radiator screen was safer.
IMG_1147.JPG