Feeling

/ Feeling #41  
Never understood why modern tractor designers are still putting the fuel filler cap on the hood. Its the worst place they could pick. Some MFGs have figured it out but not mine.. I lay a board across the FEL arms put the can on the board and use a siphon to transfer the fuel. It works ok but a pump and nozzle would be ideal.

/ Feeling #42  
fuelcaddy.JPG

I work for a heavy equipment rental company, and found one of these in the recycle bin one day due to a failed hand pump, I rescued it and bought a HarborFreight hand pump for $45.00 that fit with some fittings and such. And it is now my fuel caddy for my tractor, seem to refuel it every 3-4 months at this rate and it works like a charm :) I unload it from my pickup bed with the pallet forks after refueling.

/ Feeling #43  
Never understood why modern tractor designers are still putting the fuel filler cap on the hood. Its the worst place they could pick. Some MFGs have figured it out but not mine.. I lay a board across the FEL arms put the can on the board and use a siphon to transfer the fuel. It works ok but a pump and nozzle would be ideal.
Yeah, you are right about "where the filler is located." Our family 1954 Massey Harris Pacer has the filler top center but there they had at least an excuse of gravity feed.
Say dec4trax: These 12v pumps are not very expensive ($47.99 one I got off Amazon which has been great; 12 gal per min) and even if you continue to use the 5 gal cans you can pump from the 5 gal can while it stays on the ground.

/ Feeling #44  
I have 2 36 gallon transfer tanks with pumps (1 for gas, the other for diesel) on a small trailer. They don't take up room in the truck bed and all I need to do is hook up the trailer and pull it to the gas station when I need to refill them. I got the transfer tanks on Market place for about $100 each and the trailer for $150. This works great for me. I got really tired of handling fuel cans for tractor, 4 wheelers, mowers, and other assorted engines.
I do something very similar. I purchased 2- 12v dc pumps from Northern Tool. One for diesel, one for gas as they are not interchangeable. I use 2- 55 gallon drums and take them to the gas station to fill. The tractor is used to load/ unload from the flatbed truck. Each pump is capable of 8 gallons per minute flow so it doesn't take long to fill a 10 gallon fuel tank. Also has the gas station type nozzle with auto shut off. I use an old motorcycle battery to power the pumps and just put it on the battery charger about once every three months to recharge it. Cheap purchase? NO. But as mentioned by others, cheaper than doctor and hospital bills, and just a one-time expense. Has worked well for me now for several years.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Feeling #45  
I agree, my small Kubota was on the hood and a real pia to fill without spilling. My Mahindra is by the steps low. I haven't had issues with it (yet), but could see a possible issue if a rock, etc happened to hit it (tank is plastic). Maybe I'm just paranoid, but ...

/ Feeling #49  
I still lift my 6 gallon jugs up to my shoulder to feel my tractor. The tank is behind the seat with no place to set it, so I hold it until it's empty. I need the exercise and I'm only 63.

/ Feeling #50