Feeling generous? Be careful!

/ Feeling generous? Be careful! #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
America's Worst Charities

what really ticks me off is the use/abuse of our vets, police, emergency responders and yes, the old and the sick.
And they make these names so similar, just world class scammers, but basic thieving dirtballs.
This is why I try to keep my charity at home, where I know where it's going.

My favorite response is to tell them to send me info and I'll consider it. Never, ever have I had a reply.

/ Feeling generous? Be careful! #2  
When I'm feeling nice, I just say, "Sorry, I don't do business with any telemarketers. Have a good day." When I'm not feeling nice, I just say, "GET OFF MY PHONE!"

/ Feeling generous? Be careful! #3  
When in business I used to get lots of those calls. When I explained that I don't give donations over the phone but if they stopped by later in the day we could talk about it, the phone instantly went dead as they hung up. Worked every single time.

/ Feeling generous? Be careful! #4  
I do the same thing. I tell em to come see me or send me something in the mail. I never have gotten anything from any of them. But yes i have done plenty of charity work for churches, schools, and people in need that didnt ask for help.

/ Feeling generous? Be careful! #6  
Thanks for the link, a few of them surprised me. I would donate my time before I gave money anyway.

Anywhere there is $, there seems to be greed.

/ Feeling generous? Be careful! #8  
I don't answer my phone. Simple. I know who's calling, if I don't, don't answer. It's my house, my phone, my internet line, my doorbell!

/ Feeling generous? Be careful! #9  
I get a few of these, usually wanting me to subscribe to or sign up for something. Usually around 6 in the evening. As soon as I hear the first 3 or 4 words and know that it is not a voice that I recognise I usually politely say "Thank you for calling, Goodnight", and hang up. On one occasion, after spending half-n-hour slaving over a hot stove :) I had just picked up my knife and fork and they rang. After putting everything down walking to the phone, not recognising the voice I suggested :)) ), very sharply, that they do something about s*x and travel.

/ Feeling generous? Be careful! #10  
While I concur with the idea of not responding to phone solicitations, I hope this does not stop you from donating generously to known reputable charities.

There are many of us that are in "comfortable" circumstances and can easily afford $100's to help our less fortunate members of of our society.

It is this time of year (just at the end of the financial year) that I get great joy from ringing a number of charities and offering $25 - $100 each. The obvious joy from the recipient, makes it all worthwhile.

Weedpharma