Fed up with the garden

/ Fed up with the garden
Today is the latest I've ever dug potatoes.
Much better results than I had expected, but not the type of harvest I've had in the past.
Except for a couple apple trees everything is in for the year.
If I were a settler depending on my harvest to get me through the winter I'd be sr=wed.
Nothing came up to expectations.

/ Fed up with the garden #283  
Today is the latest I've ever dug potatoes.
Much better results than I had expected, but not the type of harvest I've had in the past.
Except for a couple apple trees everything is in for the year.
If I were a settler depending on my harvest to get me through the winter I'd be sr=wed.
Nothing came up to expectations.
That should give you a first-hand perspective on how truly difficult life was just 100-200 years ago.

/ Fed up with the garden #284  
I picked the final green beans and cucumbers yesterday as well as harvested the basil. I had been trying to get to making pesto base out of the basil for weeks. I need to dig the remaining potatoes still. Squash is about what it is going to be, yellowing down now.

/ Fed up with the garden #285  
1696703014488.png

1696703045671.png

I picked some peppers this morning (small ones are lunch box peppers), tomatoes and a can of tomato juice I canned last year. Put it in a dutch oven on the smoker with a two pound ball of sausage/Bison. I guess it is called "over the top" chili.

Never made it but heard about it on Facebook. We will see. I just used Mrs. Wages seasoning and some Kinder's Hickory Molasses Rub in the chili. Also put the molasses rub on the meat ball. I'm about to pull the meat and crumble it up to put in the chili for another hour.

I left the veggies kind of large, so it is going to probably eat like a stew, which I like.
1696703096866.png

/ Fed up with the garden #286  
View attachment 825727
View attachment 825728

I picked some peppers this morning (small ones are lunch box peppers), tomatoes and a can of tomato juice I canned last year. Put it in a dutch oven on the smoker with a two pound ball of sausage/Bison. I guess it is called "over the top" chili.

Never made it but heard about it on Facebook. We will see. I just used Mrs. Wages seasoning and some Kinder's Hickory Molasses Rub in the chili. Also put the molasses rub on the meat ball. I'm about to pull the meat and crumble it up to put in the chili for another hour.

I left the veggies kind of large, so it is going to probably eat like a stew, which I like.
View attachment 825729
Thank you for making me drool! 😋

It sounds like a good recipe, let us know how it turns out.

/ Fed up with the garden
Doing the last cultivation before winter to turn over the volunteer weeds later today. Not gonna plow just a deep discing.
Start on the road to a hopefully improved result next year.(y)

/ Fed up with the garden #288  
On Saturday we picked the final peas, Apples, zucchinis.
Lost about half the late harvest apples to birds and wasps, harvested about 100 lbs of good apples.
We harvested the remaining pears on the 7th, about 80 pounds.
Between wildlife and mother nature, you just never know what the bounty of the garden will be.
But overall it was a good season for the gardens. Lots of work, but I need something to do and enjoy.
We no longer can as the freeze dryer gives better quality results. Taste is better and storage is longer term.

/ Fed up with the garden #289  
Yesterday I pulled the electric fence, brush-hogged the garden, tilled everything under and planted winter rye. I'm done with the garden for 2023. Not a bad year. Bumper crop of winter squash and pumpkins and sun flowers, (and weeds). Ok year for peas, zuchini, cukes and yellow squash. Not so good year for onions and tomatoes, Aug was too wet, with 8"+ of rain, the wettest on record.

/ Fed up with the garden #290  
My zucchini played out early this year and I didn't get as many as I had hoped. So I planted some very late. I've been covering them at night took this pic yesterday. Just experimenting to see how late they will go

Attachments

• PXL_20231015_153201276.jpg
    PXL_20231015_153201276.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20231015_153157512.jpg
    PXL_20231015_153157512.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20231015_230302064.jpg
    PXL_20231015_230302064.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45