Mowing Fed Up w/ BX Drive-Over Deck. Making a Change.

/ Fed Up w/ BX Drive-Over Deck. Making a Change. #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
So I finally have had it with Kubota’s BX answer to John Deere’s drive over deck. What a POS. After dealing with the deck not staying level every year, the deck always dropping while mowing (tractor staircase adjuster), the pain trying to get it on, let alone off, and the pain in the $&@%# to clean the deck with the second lift carriage, I’m think I’m done.
Question is, do I get a new old style deck that you roll under to attach, or get a zero turn?
Mowing about 1-1/2 acres. A fair amount of trees. Takes about 1-1/2 hours with the BX. Would the Z422FW-54 be a good choice? The deck for my BX would cost $3,500+. The Z about $8,000. Will I actually get a better cut? Save time on this size yard?
Yup, I know you’ll spend my money, but I’m looking for thoughts from others living my dream.

/ Fed Up w/ BX Drive-Over Deck. Making a Change. #2  
Why not try a RFM like a KingKutter with a rear discharge?

You can mow right up next to trees/shrubs, underneath them, etc. The cut is phenomenal too.

When I get my bigger machine, I am going that route.

While I like the compactness of the MMM, I've had odd issues with it and I've realizing as I'm getting older, it's more of a pain to work on or make simple repairs/maintenance.

/ Fed Up w/ BX Drive-Over Deck. Making a Change.
I considered the RFM, but it would turn my weekly trimming into a much bigger job around trees, and probably require me to buy a push mower to fill in. I don’t think it’d be user friendly on my property.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Fed Up w/ BX Drive-Over Deck. Making a Change. #6  
B2710 with MMM bought in 1999 , and I bought a ZD321 zero turn a dozen years ago. ZT is a lot faster but we didn't save as much time because we doubled the size of the yard, LOL. Seriously, the ZT is faster on the straight stretches and a lot faster maneuvering on turns, etc.

Removing the MMM wasn't a big issue since I never removed it until two years ago.

Ken

/ Fed Up w/ BX Drive-Over Deck. Making a Change.
I live in northern Illinois. There are no other options for me besides a tractor for snow removal, so I really need to keep the BX.
The wife is more worried about storage of the Z than what it’s used for.
I think if I get the Z, I’ll use my tractor more, because I’ll leave the loader on it and it’ll always be ready for bucket or fork work. That had me thinking about just going with an 80-Series BX with the standard deck. I’d get an easy on/off loader. My BX is not as friendly to take on and off as the 80-Series.

/ Fed Up w/ BX Drive-Over Deck. Making a Change. #8  
I live in northern Illinois. There are no other options for me besides a tractor for snow removal, so I really need to keep the BX.
The wife is more worried about storage of the Z than what it’s used for.
I think if I get the Z, I’ll use my tractor more, because I’ll leave the loader on it and it’ll always be ready for bucket or fork work. That had me thinking about just going with an 80-Series BX with the standard deck. I’d get an easy on/off loader. My BX is not as friendly to take on and off as the 80-Series.

I would never chose one over the other. I need a tractor to do things only a tractor can do. Adding the ZT was splurging in my case, as my $2000 rider was doing the job just fine but I do not like cutting grass. As to storing machines, there is not much more room needed to store a ZT or rider if you have to store the MMM when if comes off. If you are really cramped for room, a garden shed will store a ZT or rider.

/ Fed Up w/ BX Drive-Over Deck. Making a Change. #9  
When I was shopping last year I mentioned to the JD salesperson that I heard the drive over decks are problems once they get some use- said no, they've been good :rolleyes: . When I was looking at the 2380, dealer pretty much confirmed my suspicions and said they aren't worth it, especially once attaching points start getting some wear and slop...

/ Fed Up w/ BX Drive-Over Deck. Making a Change. #10  
A ZTR will get you a better cut and save you time.

Mike