Feathering Backhoe Controls

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls #1  

SLOBuds

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L35
I have a post over in Owning/Operating which asks folks to give me hints on how to come up to speed on the backhoe. I'm very uncoordinated and it's taking me a long time to get the hang of it.

One fellow told me this - which says that my tractor, a Kubota L35, was hard for him too because the controls seemed to be 'all on' or 'all off'.

Well I'm not the best to judge because I am still learning and have plenty of jerky motions with my hands/arms going in the wrong directions. But it does seem to me that I have to very carefully move the joystick to get the different backhoe motions to move slowly. I almost have to push it with a couple of fingers to get the motions slowed down.

Is there a way for me to adapt my hydraulics so that the joystick is more gradual in its operation? Or is that effect due to a basic engineering design on my backhoe valves?

Thanks.

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls #2  
I have no hydraulic knowledge but, I wonder if someone who does thinks you could put some bushings or restrictions in line to lessen the hydrauic flow, thus slowing the response to control input?
All that aside, I thought mine was too quick and jerky but, after some quality seat time, I think it is about right. For me, it was mostly the swing speed. Now I don't want it slower, I've gotten a little bit better at the controls.
Has anyone mentioned less engine rpm's? trouble is, it slows everything down.

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls #3  
Is the L39 similar to the feel of the L35 TLB?

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls #4  
How fast are you running the engine? When I was learning to use mine someone suggested running the engine at a low speed to start off. As you get the hang of it, you can speed it up. For me this was great advice, so I'll pass it on.....

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls
I am running the engine at low rpm, after that recommendation from the owning/operating forum.

L39 vs L35: I don't know the difference in feel.

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls #6  
Yeah, run at a slow engine speed. The backhoe will not bog the engine much at all. My 21hp CK20 HST operates up to 3000 rpms max, 2750 rpms to reach 540 pto rpms. I normally operate at about 2200 rpms for backhoe work and 2400 for loader work but only at 1700 rpms while learning the backhoe. There is no difference in power of the backhoe between rpms, the only difference is in speed. The higher the rpms, the faster all the movement is. It stil hits the relief valve at the same time.

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls #7  
Any slop in the controls will make repeatable fine control difficult. You could also try extending the control levers. This will add control resolution or a larger hand movement for a given valve movement. I am a pilot and also a flight simulator enthusiast and that is the biggest control issue in the flight sim, going from a real aircraft with 18" of control stick movement to a computer joystick with 6" of movement(1/3 the control resolution).

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls #8  
In the manual for a Woods 9000 hoe, it is suggested that operating two bh functions simultaneously smooths out the hydraulic response and this indeed was my experience with the Wood bh-7500 I had previously.

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls #9  
hayden said:
How fast are you running the engine? When I was learning to use mine someone suggested running the engine at a low speed to start off. As you get the hang of it, you can speed it up. For me this was great advice, so I'll pass it on.....

Exactly the same thing I was told this fall when I got mine. Start out with a slower engine speed until you get the hang of it. So far I am still trying to get the hang of it.

/ Feathering Backhoe Controls #10  
RonMar said:
Any slop in the controls will make repeatable fine control difficult. You could also try extending the control levers. This will add control resolution or a larger hand movement for a given valve movement. I am a pilot and also a flight simulator enthusiast and that is the biggest control issue in the flight sim, going from a real aircraft with 18" of control stick movement to a computer joystick with 6" of movement(1/3 the control resolution).

Extending the control levers is an excellent idea.