Fast blinkers

/ Fast blinkers #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
Hi all,

I have an old chevy Suburban, '94. I have had a fast blinker for a while but now just getting to it. I have changed out all the back bulbs. The front two side turn indicators were blown so they got replaced as well. So it appears all bulbs are working. Just using the turn signal, no brakes, works just fine. If the break is pressed L is OK but R blinks a bit fast. When either L or R is used, I see dimming the opposite side so it looks like they are both blinking

Before I changed out all the bulbs the dimming effect was more like flat out hazard light. There was no way to tell what direction I was indicating.

So, I'm guessing it's either a bad ground or some thing else. I just don't understand how the brakes or blinkers work fine solo but, not combined.

Thanks for any help.

/ Fast blinkers #2  
Hiya,

Rapid blinkers are the systems way of indicating there is higher amperage draw in the circuit, thus tripping the flasher on and off faster. I would suspect that your issue resides in the rear bulb sockets or harness with oxidized sockets/connectors allowing voltage to cross between turn, hazzard and stop circuits. My '92 Dodge had that issue, ended up replacing a rear taillight/directional socket and all was good.

Tom

/ Fast blinkers #4  
sounds like you have a bad ground connection

/ Fast blinkers #5  
Check for a trailer hitch / plug that has rubbed and shorted out. often they will all out of post. and wind blowing rubs thru & or shorts out in a pocket full of water.

also check the brake/turn bulbs were not high output halogen type that can cause issues too.

Mark

/ Fast blinkers #6  
If all the bulbs are binking I would suggest putting in a Heavy Duty flasher that should help!

/ Fast blinkers #7  
strange things can happen. On my '58 Chevy with 2 filaments in the tail light bulbs the dash lights started coming on when I applied the brakes. Turns out one filament burned out and fell onto the other so applying the brakes completed the circuit for the dash lights and I don't know what else.

/ Fast blinkers #8  
Check to see if the flasher has been replaced with an aftermarket heavy duty one? If you can't tell, plug it into a trailer and see if the lights work properly.