Farms disappearing at alarming rates

/ Farms disappearing at alarming rates
I'm not complaining at all. In fact I admire their awesome solution to crime. No need for prisons, just turn criminals into night soil. In my visit(s) there they have addressed the race, education, dei, woke, and military service issues, suitable to my liking.
I admired their almost religious respect for older visitors who come to offer them education. (And it's not courses in Ancient French Literature).

But then theres those little issues of freedom of expression, rights, etc.

/ Farms disappearing at alarming rates #23  
One of the issues around here is that land prices are just pricing the kids out of the market.
Our family had a small family "hobby farm". 50 acres. But it was very productive during the years that my brother and I were around.
Then as we left, the pigs rapidly went away, and eventually all the cattle too. Mom still grows hay, and allows a nearby farmer to graze cows during the summer.
I have never in my life felt comfortable with going out and buying 50 or 100 acres or more. It just couldn't happen.
The small family farm is now worth well in excess of $1 Million. That would be a huge chunk of change for a young adult entering the workforce to purchase for a piece of land that would likely never quite pay for itself. I'm watching my nephew enter the workforce, and he still struggles to make ends meet every month. No extra money for say a $10K monthly house payment.
The family will try to keep the property from being sliced and diced, but it is hard to say what the future will bring.
I'm at a point where if I got it, I could probably bring the cows back, and deal with daily feeding chores and annual haying. But it is unclear for how long. And my interests have drifted away from the farming.
I really have no idea how farms have been passed through a half dozen generations. But, part of it would be to have a large enough farm to generate significant revenue, and to have 2 or 3 viable homes on the property so at least one kid just never leaves.

/ Farms disappearing at alarming rates #24  
The Arizona governor shut down the water to the Saudi owned farms who were exporting hay.
Guess who's buying a lot of it up !

My buddy in Az. is complaining because the water rationing going on there doesn't apply to foreign land owners.

Last edited:
   / Farms disappearing at alarming rates #25  
In the relatively short 25 yrs I've been in this location I've seen a lot of farmland grow housing tracts. Developers just offer way more $ than crops and farmers get old and tired or their kids buckle. It's sad and it has ruined what was once a beautiful valley of wheat, grapes, and citrus groves.

/ Farms disappearing at alarming rates #26  
We have 1.5 GW 10 mile to the north and they have given the farmers issues of the last decade. But I felt since it didn't impact me directly when they decided to install 400 mw 4 mile to the west of me I didn't get involved.

Unlike the 1.1 and 1.5 Mw turbines to the north they installed 2.2 mw to the west. They sight the things on how far they will throw a blade if it breaks(and it does happen). Well the manufactures recommendation for the 2.2 MW was 1650 feet. That would limit where they placed them so they used the 1200 feet that the smaller turbines spec to the structure and now people cant build on their property because it will be to close. The northern farms they put the turbine from the property line not the structure. And I didn't think I would see the things but since they are a 100' taller than the 1.5mw ones sure can. Red lights drive the residents batty that live in the fields.

Now they are planning a 3000 acres solar farm to the east.
guessing you are in Oklahoma?

/ Farms disappearing at alarming rates #27  
Property value increases can have a dramatic affect on property taxes after title transfers too, especially in development heavy areas. Here's how I think the math would look for a person purchasing a small farm near me.

Buying a $1,000,000 farm with a mortgage at current rates in my township today would translate to paying approximately $3,000,000 in total principle, interest, and property taxes over the first 30 years of ownership. That's assuming taxable value is 1/2 purchase price and mortgage is in 6% range. The purchased property would basically have to generate $100,000 a year in free cash flow on average just to satisfy the bank and local government.

After those two monsters are fed, farming the place will also add the IRS, State income tax, utility providers, and insurance companies to the line of entities waiting for payments. Plus there will be ongoing needs for seed, feed, equipment, fuel, vehicles, maintenance and repairs of equipment and buildings. Plus some funding for food, clothes, and recreation for the family would be nice too.

In my county a $1,000,000 could get an 80 acre farm at best right now. So mathematically, each acre would probably need to yield around $3000 in annual gross revenue to cover anticipated farming costs and to pay for itself within 30 years.

Corn is the predominant crop nearby and it's currently around $4.20/bu. Making 200/acre (- drying and trucking costs) would gross around $800 per acre. Planting 70 acres in corn would =$56,000 annually if a 200 average can be attained. Soybeans may be closer to $900/acre for $63,000 annually with 70 acres at the current price. 70 acres of wheat might gross $35,000.

Livestock and the necessary infrastructure can be expensive to start and take a couple years to generate revenue. Poultry or egg production may be an option, but in my case a use permit is required and the township supervisor lives down wind. Things like that can slow the process way down.

Uh Oh! None of the normal farm activities would seem to cover the mortgage payments alone.

Owning the 80 acres without farming looks even worse in my township. They are a charter township now with a master plan that promotes development and suburban lifestyle living. Taxes are on a steady rise and would be hitting the new owner of this fictitious place for upwards of $20,000 by the 3rd year of ownership, with no revenue coming in to offset taxes. The one thing that could help with property taxes is another real estate crash. In a crash the owner would be upside down on a farm that couldn't be refinanced because the LTV ratio would no longer conform. But the upside would be a valid position to argue for lower taxes.

So, that's a revisit of the math behind why I never bought a farm. The first time I did a similar exercise was the end of the 80's when interest rates were higher, commodity prices were low, I was broke, and we were waiting for the trickle-down and peace in the middle east.

/ Farms disappearing at alarming rates #28  
   / Farms disappearing at alarming rates #29  
Property value increases can have a dramatic affect on property taxes after title transfers too, especially in development heavy areas. Here's how I think the math would look for a person purchasing a small farm near me.

Buying a $1,000,000 farm with a mortgage at current rates in my township today would translate to paying approximately $3,000,000 in total principle, interest, and property taxes over the first 30 years of ownership. That's assuming taxable value is 1/2 purchase price and mortgage is in 6% range. The purchased property would basically have to generate $100,000 a year in free cash flow on average just to satisfy the bank and local government.

After those two monsters are fed, farming the place will also add the IRS, State income tax, utility providers, and insurance companies to the line of entities waiting for payments. Plus there will be ongoing needs for seed, feed, equipment, fuel, vehicles, maintenance and repairs of equipment and buildings. Plus some funding for food, clothes, and recreation for the family would be nice too.

In my county a $1,000,000 could get an 80 acre farm at best right now. So mathematically, each acre would probably need to yield around $3000 in annual gross revenue to cover anticipated farming costs and to pay for itself within 30 years.

Corn is the predominant crop nearby and it's currently around $4.20/bu. Making 200/acre (- drying and trucking costs) would gross around $800 per acre. Planting 70 acres in corn would =$56,000 annually if a 200 average can be attained. Soybeans may be closer to $900/acre for $63,000 annually with 70 acres at the current price. 70 acres of wheat might gross $35,000.

Livestock and the necessary infrastructure can be expensive to start and take a couple years to generate revenue. Poultry or egg production may be an option, but in my case a use permit is required and the township supervisor lives down wind. Things like that can slow the process way down.

Uh Oh! None of the normal farm activities would seem to cover the mortgage payments alone.

Owning the 80 acres without farming looks even worse in my township. They are a charter township now with a master plan that promotes development and suburban lifestyle living. Taxes are on a steady rise and would be hitting the new owner of this fictitious place for upwards of $20,000 by the 3rd year of ownership, with no revenue coming in to offset taxes. The one thing that could help with property taxes is another real estate crash. In a crash the owner would be upside down on a farm that couldn't be refinanced because the LTV ratio would no longer conform. But the upside would be a valid position to argue for lower taxes.

So, that's a revisit of the math behind why I never bought a farm. The first time I did a similar exercise was the end of the 80's when interest rates were higher, commodity prices were low, I was broke, and we were waiting for the trickle-down and peace in the middle east.
A couple of notes. Around here there is a "Farm Deferral" for property taxes. I've never quite figured out what it means to lose the farm deferral, but it does help with the tax rate on the farm. We also have property tax limitations that the longer one keeps the property, the tax increases are low, until sold. The farm deferral requires a small amount of "gross income", but not necessarily a "net income", and it is pretty easy to hit.

It is hard to predict the future. But, there may be benefits of buying and holding that would not be considered when looking at the initial purchase price.

My parents bought the farm in about 1979.
I don't remember exactly, but it was somewhere between $1000 an acre and $5000 an acre. Possibly the $1K. Anyway, based on today's prices that is a fraction of today's value. And income would have come up somewhat over the years.

So, take a paper loss for the first 10 years, then hopefully start showing a real profit.

/ Farms disappearing at alarming rates #30  
I believe Bill Gates is buying up US farmland at an incredible rate as well. What does he know that most people don,t ?