Farmi JL 304

/ Farmi JL 304 #1  

Russ Tripp

Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I have an "old" Frami JL 304 winch, still working strong except the adjustment that puts pressure on the drum which prevents the spool from free spinning while pulling out cable. When this happens I end up with half hitches while pulling in the cable. It's a threaded screw that's rusted in so badly I cant adjust it. Tried sprays, lubes and heat which none worked. Any ideas how to get that loosened up?

/ Farmi JL 304 #2  
If nothing else works, you can always drill it out and replace it.

Personally, I'd keep trying spray and heat. Sometimes it takes a lot of soaking.

SR

/ Farmi JL 304
Thank you, I will keep soaking. I don't have taps and dies but this could be a good reason to increase my tools!!

/ Farmi JL 304
No, I don't have torches. Think I may talk to a machine shop about heating it up. Thanks.

/ Farmi JL 304 #6  
You have to get it red for the heat to be really effective.

SR

/ Farmi JL 304 #7  
This Mapp turbo torch gets hotter than any other small cylinder torch I've used except for the Bernzomatic welding torch cylinder kit.

50/50 mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid is also the most effective rust penetrating fluid I've used. But it is flammable and acetone is not something you want to breathe or get on your skin.

/ Farmi JL 304 #8  
Have you tried spraying it and then gently tapping on it?
Every time you spray gently tap it
Can you put some thing around it to help hold the liquid
wrench so it can seep into the threads? Like a plumbers
putty or tape and plastic?

willy

/ Farmi JL 304 #9  
No, I don't have torches. Think I may talk to a machine shop about heating it up. Thanks.
If you dont have torches then you really didnt heat it. A propane plumbing torch really isnt enough heat to get much free..
However if you can get that to start to change color and melt a candle into the threads until the melting slows you may have a change.

/ Farmi JL 304 #10  
BTW, mapp gas will get hotter than propane. Tapping with a hammer as Willy suggested might cause some of the rust to loosen enough for the penetrating fluid to work just try not to distort any metal in the process.

If you have access to an air hammer, you can sometimes use an air hammer to vibrate the pieces to try to break up the rust enough for the penetrating fluid to work.

Candle wax can also work provided you can heat the parts enough for it to penetrate. What you are hoping for by using heat is that the parts expand and contract enough that the process eventually breaks the bond of rust.