Farmer Digs Fire Line With Tractor during Fire

/ Farmer Digs Fire Line With Tractor during Fire #11  
Looked like a crop of standing wheat . I'm surprised that discing would stop a fire moving that fast , In dry light soil it will often make it accross.

/ Farmer Digs Fire Line With Tractor during Fire #14  
Looks like it worked!

/ Farmer Digs Fire Line With Tractor during Fire #15  
Cutting a stand of wheat that's about ready for harvest. Yes, I'd like to know if it saved the field. Hopefully so since the wind was blowing in his favor.

/ Farmer Digs Fire Line With Tractor during Fire #16  
Hopefully so since the wind was blowing in his favor.

That's what I thought too since the flames seemed to be bent away from him. Of course, a fire makes its own wind and can easily spread against a prevailing breeze, but the heat would have melted the paint off that Deere if the wind had been blowing in his direction (my opinion). Even if the fire could jump that fire line, he surely slowed it down and could have made another pass for insurance. When he got to the end of the standing grain, it looked like the fire was pretty well snuffed behind him just before the video ended. I'm thinking he was not only brave, but pretty smart too.

/ Farmer Digs Fire Line With Tractor during Fire #17  
Not only was it brave but he is just trying to save his future finances. Hats off to you Mr American Farmer! Always something trying to take the pennies from their hand, either drought, flood, bugs or the American Government. Fire is just another problem which this man might have over come. . .BIG "E" for effort these people are true hero's in their own special way . . .God Bless, John

/ Farmer Digs Fire Line With Tractor during Fire #18  
As I passed a corn stubble field on fire on the drive home yesterday and watched a SCUT, ATV, and several people with rakes and shovels working on setting up a fire break, I remembered this video. I guess I'll see Tuesday on the way to work how they made out in stopping yesterday's burn that got away.

I feel bad, I had a shovel in the back of the truck and could have (maybe should have) stopped to help.

/ Farmer Digs Fire Line With Tractor during Fire #19  
I did similar with a grass fire that got out of hand and was burning off neighbors pastures. I had my tiller on the LS P7010 so I used that running about 6-7 MPH. It did a good job, much better than a disk, didn't go too deep to disturb the root system but stopped the grass fire cold. On the fence lines where I couldn't use the tiller, I filled the FEL with water from a nearby pond and doused it with that.