farmall super c

/ farmall super c #1  

charlesdcdr

Tractor
white
I got a farmall super c that's been sitting in my mothers barn for over 15 years. I've been taking my time on it. I'm going to restore it eventually, but it occurred to me that it may require leaded gas. Does anybody know if it would be ok to just use 87 octain fuel in it or do have to put a lead additive in the gas? Right now the tank is clean and dry. I figure it leaked out the sediment bowl while it sat idle. Also my brother converted it to a 12 volt system but he has 2 wires coming off the alternator. One to the coil for some reason. Any ideas and help are appreciated. Thanks Charlie.

/ farmall super c #3  
if it is a 3 wire common delco 10si alt. #2 can jump to the charge stud. charge stud thru ammeter to battery.. and #1 thru a 168 or 194 lamp to the side of the key switch going to the coil. if a mag ignition.. then you can get creative with the #1 line.. even hooking it to a lamp switch..e tc..

I'm not sure of the C.. but I know all fords left the factory with hardened exhaust valve seats. many tractors did ..

Tetra ethyl lead was added to low octane fuel as an octane modifier. any properties as a valve lube were secondary.

forget a lead substitute... they just make sellers rich.

IF you wanted upper cyl lube.. you have many options from lucas to MMO.

I run nothing special in my C.... or H.. or any of my tractors that are gassers..

/ farmall super c #4  
if it is a 3 wire common delco 10si alt. #2 can jump to the charge stud. charge stud thru ammeter to battery.. and #1 thru a 168 or 194 lamp to the side of the key switch going to the coil. if a mag ignition.. then you can get creative with the #1 line.. even hooking it to a lamp switch..e tc..

I'm not sure of the C.. but I know all fords left the factory with hardened exhaust valve seats. many tractors did ..

Tetra ethyl lead was added to low octane fuel as an octane modifier. any properties as a valve lube were secondary.

forget a lead substitute... they just make sellers rich.

IF you wanted upper cyl lube.. you have many options from lucas to MMO.

I run nothing special in my C.... or H.. or any of my tractors that are gassers..

Soundguy hit it good. With the wiring and gas. I have a 200, which replaced the c. I even run a bit of leftover mixed (2stroke) every now and then with no real issues.

/ farmall super c
Thanks for all the replies. They were very helpful. Can't wait to dig in and get it running.

/ farmall super c #6  
I usually run the mid-grade gas in both my Super C's, and other tractors, especially the 656 when making hay. It did make a difference on fouling plugs. Bulk gas dealer told a buddy of mine there is less ethanol added. Both get a dash of MMO occasionally, and the one not used as much gets a shot of Stabil. All get the Seafoam treatment several times a year.

/ farmall super c #7  
seafoam is good stuff with todays JUNKY GAS...

/ farmall super c
Just an update on the tractor, I got it running. Even though the battery won't take a charge, I was able to get it started by cranking it. At first it flooded out, but after cleaning the oil canister on the air cleaner and replacing the oil it started. The carb. was dripping, fixed that. Hydraulics didn't work, fixed that. The radiator needed a gallon and half, then was leaking out the over flow, a new radiator cap fixed that. Well on my way, now I'm saving up for a 3pt. conversion so I can get a blade for pushing snow, and a rear mower. It's turning in to a fun and satisfying project. Charlie Reder.

/ farmall super c #9  
i love my lil C

/ farmall super c #10  
I have found they will leak out the overflow if they are too full. Mine is usually an inch from the top. Be careful on the 3pt conversion. I would not get the one that bolts to the belt pulley as the casting imho is not strong enough.