Farmall Super A Touch control Hydraulics

/ Farmall Super A Touch control Hydraulics #1  

rcnotestine

Tractor
Farmal Super A
I have a Super A that the touch control lifts stopped working. Has fluid both front and rear are not working. I used one day and started hearing a ticking noise like the fan hitting something. The lifts were working fine. I parked it for the day. The next week when I needed to plow snow does not make a sound and does not move when the controls are moved. I am thinking the pump since the ticking noise was in the front around the area of the pump.

/ Farmall Super A Touch control Hydraulics #2  
Quite possibly have sheared the woodruff key on the drive gear shown in this exploded view @CASE/IH online parts book. Case IH | Schematic, Manuals, Specifications and Diagrams for hydraulic system, touch-control, pump drive gear and manifold tubes | MyCNHi US Store

You'll need to remove the manifold to get the pump off, just be careful at the back end there is a gasket there, and sometimes they will tear and you'll need a new one. Probably a good idea to replace the o-rings where the manifold mates to the pump.

I've got 5 tractors with that type of pump system and the woodruff key is the weakest link in that system. Never had one shear, but not saying it won't happen. As to why it happened would be my question. 2 things come to mind. Contaminated hydraulic oil with water, and ice between gears in frigid weather. The other would be moving the control lever(s) full throw and causing the pump to bypass thickened oil in cold weather enough to shear the key. You can tell if it's bypassing if you can hear a slight squall in the pump when levers are at full throw in either direction. If this is the case there are adjusting tabs under the touch control block to limit the travel of the position valve. Easy to adjust loosening 2 screws and move tab to the point where you don't hear the pump bypassing, then snug them down.

/ Farmall Super A Touch control Hydraulics #3  
I was going to suggest the pump had gone but the Woodruff key makes much more sense. I'm in the process of rebuilding my touch control on one of my 140s.

/ Farmall Super A Touch control Hydraulics #4  
I was going to suggest the pump had gone but the Woodruff key makes much more sense. I'm in the process of rebuilding my touch control on one of my 140s.
It may not be, but just seems like the weakest link in the system. And who knows, a PO may have had it apart somewhere along the line and put a softer key in it. Just using the SWAG system trying to diagnose the problem.

There's more than several "why's" as to the cause. I know they had some pretty cold temps during that time, a bit colder than we had here and they are right at 400 miles North of where I live. Could have very well taken out the pump seal too and can't build pressure. But that doesn't explain the ticking noise, or reservoir full of oil. I'd think if it was the seal it would take long to put hydraulic oil in the oil pan.