Farm windmill takedown

/ Farm windmill takedown #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Today, a first for me, dismantled a 40+ ft windmill that was still functioning. A lady had it on her rural property, and was worried all the time that it was running. A few blades had fallen because a cottonwood tree was encroaching in its "path" so it was removal time. Her neighbor asked me to help him, and said it was 30' tall. Arrived this morning to find out it was over 40', and the lift I was renting only (I thought) would reach 36'. But upon further checking, the lift would reach 43' working height, in a 19' radius and the "bucket" would hold 450 pounds.
So waiting for the rain to let up, we planned to go up and see if we could dismantle it without ruining any of the parts. After unbolting the 'fan' system (about 7' diam), and removing the 'tail' (about 6-7' long), we were left with the dilemna of removing the gear box. We finally hog tied it with a rope, and fastened the rope to one of the four legs, and unbolted it to let it fall about 3'. Then one of us went back up in the 'bucket' and loaded the 150+ pound gear box (head). Once it was down, the rest of the dismantling of the 40' legs was routine, but time consumming. There were 'machine' bolts with square nuts (lots of them) but most were not rusted and were rather easy to unbolt.

Took about 5 hours to get it down to the ground. The brake shoe was worn off, but other than that, it seemed to be in excellent condition. Still had oil in the gear box and grease ont the turning parts.

Very interesting day. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 423266-Windmillb.JPG
    423266-Windmillb.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 887
   / Farm windmill takedown #2  
Congratulations on your decision to rent a lift and disassemble that thing. It is cool, and you'll do well with it I'm sure. I'm afraid me and a few buddys would have a couple of cold ones and they talk me in to pulling it over with my tractor and a sawzall!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Such is my life... Good job!

/ Farm windmill takedown #3  
Having put up a rebuilt forty footer I can relate to your fun. The same friend has another for us to erect when we both have that rarest of commodity, time.

There is fewer praise more rewarding than to install a windmill and then, it works! Something about seeing it spinning in the wind and water coming out of a pipe. Takes a little imagination to get those two together, but one can. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

So I hope you not only enjoyed your taking one down but you get the pleasure of putting it back up and having it back into production.

/ Farm windmill takedown #4  
I've never taken one down or put one up, but I sure hated the job of climbing up there in the winter when the sucker rod came unscrewed and I had to get it back together. But other than that, I liked our windmill for a water source.

/ Farm windmill takedown #5  
On the TV commercial it only takes a few minutes to get er down.

Egon

/ Farm windmill takedown #6  
You didn't mention what you are going to do with the windmill. I have been keeping an eye out for one and live in Illinois. If you happen to be interested in selling please PM me.

/ Farm windmill takedown
Putting it back up? I don't plan to do that. When thinking about it, seems some kind of boom pole rigged to the angle iron legs would be the way to do it. Something that could be used as a hoist (sky hook) with top pulley to lift and hold things while bolting it together. Maybe the old timers would assemble on the ground and lift the top section vertically like they do steel corn cribs and some steel silos. Adding new framework at the bottom while hoisting the assembled part aloft.

No plans to do it, but have given it some thought as to how one might attempt re-assembling. There would be joy in seeing it pump water again, as you said. The lady who had us take it down had some nostalgia when it was down, with a bittersweet feeling about the situation. All in all, she was happy it was no longer whirling away above her, not knowing if another vane would come loose and fall.

/ Farm windmill takedown #8  
They use a jib pole to hang the motor on the finished tower. Is your motor that you took down an Aeromotor? Most of them are worth more than a few dollars. I have a rebuilt unit just begging to be put up.

/ Farm windmill takedown #9  
<font color="blue"> Putting it back up? I don't plan to do that. </font>
I was at 3rd Monday trade days recently and talking to a lady that sells refurbished windmills. I asked how hard it was to put one up. She said simple. Just set concrete bases for the four legs. Assemble the complete windmill on the ground attaching 2 legs to 2 bases with hinged attachments. Attach a chain or rope to the other legs and pull with a truck or tractor. She said it will stand right up. Some one on the opposite side with a rope to help ease it over. Sounds too simple to be true.

/ Farm windmill takedown #10  
The only way I have seen them put up is to pre-assemble the base or first section. Level it, square it, and set the legs in concrete. The first section is the tricky one. If it isn't square and level things will go downhill rapidly from that point.

Once the first section has been set the rest goes together like a big erector set. Getting the motor on top is the hardest part. Even that isn't bad if you know someone with a jib pole to help with the job.