Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job #11  
Lol, thanks for the complements. I applied the paint with a $15 auto spray gun from harbor freight. I thinned out the paint to spray better with a 60% paint 40% mineral spirits. What I read is if you put a coat of wax on it once a year like auto paint it will last for years. But if it dont then you can just buff it down and paint it again for $70.
After the painting, 2 coats of clear would keep the luster for years. No need to wax. ;)

Great work. And yes, I snagged one of those $15 spray paint guns on the BF2023 for $9. I plan on re-doing the King Kutter tractor attachments. You make it look very easy. Thanks for the tips on the thinner.

The color is perfect for the truck. Brought it back to life.

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job #12  
That really looks good.

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job
Really thanks all for the compliments. I was really worried this project was gonna end up in a disaster. But I looked at the truck and thought as long as it has paint and it's all one color it has to be an improvement lol.

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job #14  
That IS an excellent paint job.

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job #15  
Get out of town! That's a fine bit of craftsmanship!

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job #16  
It’s a lot better than I expected when you described what you did. With automotive paint you can wet sand it, then buff it with compounds with each step being a gentler compound. With that Rustoleum I’m not sure what you would do with it. I think with that amount of work and as well as it turned out you should paint it with automotive paint next time. With automotive paint you don’t thin with mineral spirits but you use a reducer.

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job #17  
You can sand Rustoleum just like any other oil based paint. If the problem is just inconsistent gloss and not orange peel, I would suggest trying some rubbing compound and then polishing to see if it shines up. Just be aware that if you have much orange peel, the rubbing and polishing will just hit the high points and you will have an inconsistent surface. Orange peel needs to be sanded with fine (1000, 1500 etc) sandpaper to flatten the surface and then rubbed out and polished. Just depends on how much work you want to put into it. If the subsurface wasn't really flat, you can go through the color coat trying to get orange peel out.

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job #18  
Nice work! Looks great and nice color!

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job #19  
Very nice job!

/ Farm Truck Gets a Home Paint Job #20  
That Tundra looks about like a different truck; excellent job!