Farm ground rent

/ Farm ground rent #1  

2458n

Veteran Member
I have with my sister 120 acres coming out of CRP. October 1 2017. Have neighbor wanting to rent ground. How do I go about setting and getting a fair price? Any help needed thanks in advance. Farmer is all ready to get started but is a little pushy already telling me what I can and can not do with my farm equipment. Seems like he is going to farm every inch possible.

/ Farm ground rent #2  
I have with my sister 120 acres coming out of CRP. October 1 2017. Have neighbor wanting to rent ground. How do I go about setting and getting a fair price? Any help needed thanks in advance. Farmer is all ready to get started but is a little pushy already telling me what I can and can not do with my farm equipment. Seems like he is going to farm every inch possible.

Double post -- see my reply at http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/384942-farm-ground-rent.html.

Steve

/ Farm ground rent #3  
You might consider a different farmer or one more attuned to what you want to do.

/ Farm ground rent #4  
My brother leases his land for the amount of the property taxes

/ Farm ground rent #5  
Really depends on where you live and what they are growing. Around here it generally goes for $200 - 250 an acre for vegetables or $400 - 450 an acre for tobacco.

/ Farm ground rent
Soybeans is what the ground grows best. Part of the swamp area in Northwestern Ohio long ago. Clay with a couple of sandy areas. Canadian thistles do really well also. Mowed twice his year. Last week in June then again over Labor day. Throwing seed heads on six inch stems.

/ Farm ground rent #7  
Around me $100-$160 per acre is about a good range. With $130 being average.

It all depends on the land, and who is responsible for what as per the lease.

If the leave it to him to be responsible for mowing waterways, and fixing blown field tile, etc. Pretty much you do nothing......that would pay at the lower end of the range.

If you do all that and all he has to do is plant and harvest, then that would be the higher end.

But that's assuming it's a good field. Flat, square edges, etc. Lots of hills, odd shapes, winding waterways that cause alot of endrows, etc.....in general are more difficult to farm, and yield less per acre.

So there are alot of variables. Ask around in YOUR area is the only way to know what farm leasing brings in your area.

And don't let the farmer be pushy and tell you what you can and cannot do on your land. It IS your land. Tell him to take a hike.

And spell out everything. Obviously you ain't gonna be allowed to go ride your atv through his bean crop. But what about when crops are off, before they are planted? Don't let him put wording in the lease that basically gives up all your rights to your land. What about hunting rights? Hunting, especially deer,, is big in my area. And some leases have provisions for all this spelled out.

What about nuisance permits. Some farmers get them and are allowed to kill alot of deer. How are you gonna handle that on your land?

As you can see, there are alot of variables and alot to think about. Around here, alot of the leased ground is nothing formal at all. Families that have knowed each other for generations and little of the above to worry about. But it doesn't sound like your relationship with this pushy farmer is like that.

/ Farm ground rent #8  
You really have to check what the going rate in your area. In my area of New York, top notch river flats command a decent rental fee, but most of the ground away from the river doesn't rent for very much-maybe property taxes if you're lucky. My brother has around 12 flat acres behind his house-he feels fortunate that a farmer mows it for hay-that way he doesn't have to mow it.

Will

/ Farm ground rent #9  

Rent varies by location and demand

/ Farm ground rent #10  
You can find average rents at the county level at USDA/NASS QuickStats Ad-hoc Query Tool.

You can drill down to the state and county level by selecting the highlighted choices.

Screenshot 2017-09-08 at 11.49.07 AM.png

Steve