Fan uner BX24 mid-section

/ Fan uner BX24 mid-section #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
This weekend - before I did some servicing of my tractor - I spent a great deal of time hosing it down and getting rid of the caked on mud. During one of the various time/angle combinations of hosing the BX24 off, as I was on my hands and knees spraying back towards the mid-PTO - the idling tractor decided to spray back at me... after looking up in there, I discovered a spinning white fan. It is located under that "hump" on the floorboards right where the bleed valve for the 3PT is.
I would assume - that fan is used to assist in the cooling of the hydro fluid... am I correct in that assumption (no parts manual yet).

/ Fan uner BX24 mid-section #2  
Bingo.

/ Fan uner BX24 mid-section #3  
A) Watch your hands if you're removing the MMM shaft with the engine running. Started to on Saturday then got nervous with the breeze of the fan on my hand. Quite disconcerting.

B) Consider Bro-Tec skid plates. Seen several links. Cost of replacing the fan (a stick jambed up in there does wonders to white plastic spinny things) easily eclipses the cost of the skid plates. Buying mine as soon as I get back from vacation.

/ Fan uner BX24 mid-section #4  
KeithInSpace said:
... Cost of replacing the fan ...

Just to clarify, (unless the '24 is a lot different than the '23) the fan is cheap but, if someone has to have a dealer do the labor, that might be expensive. As I understand it, it's not a bad job but can be time consuming.

/ Fan uner BX24 mid-section #5  
JTwillie

Default BX24 New Fender replacement
My BX 24 with maybe 55hrs on it had the fender replaced this week. Took almost a month from the time the dealer said it would be covered under warranty. They welded some additional support to the frame rail and mounted some hard rubber which sandwiched between the new support and the floorboard. Looks pretty well done. I will add a pic later.

Now the bad news for other BX24 owners. I also had to have the HST fan replaced. I must have gotten a stick up under the tractor and took all the blades off the fan. Would have never known it except for when I had the 50hr service done. That was not covered under warranty.
Dealer was going to replace it when he put the new fender on. This was going to be a minor thing since it would be so exposed with the fender off. Probably as no charge.

Now the bad news. Unlike a BX23 which has room to pull the drive shaft out far enough to remove the fan, the BX24 does not. My dealer called Kubota since they could not get enough clearance to pull the shaft out and find out why. Seems with the BX24 you have to either pull the engine or in my case disassemble the rear end to remove shaft and replace fan. Total cost to me... $607.82

I have a skid plate on order and should be here anytime. So BX24 owners. Protect that little plastic fan as it is really expensive to have it replaced.

Cheers JT
PS... I live in Ca. and it seems that everything is more expensive out here.

/ Fan uner BX24 mid-section #6  
I didn't do that right but I think you get the message. Skid plates are made by Bro Tek in Canada. Do a search for Bro Tek.

/ Fan uner BX24 mid-section #7  
ourplace_Tn said:
JTwillie .................

Ok, good info. Thank you for the diff betw a '23 and '24.

Now for my opinion (and, no offence to you but great offence to Kubota): I know for a fact that I can find a 12V electric fan that I could hang from bailing wire or even mount sanitarily to replace that shaft driven fan. Possibly even syn hydro oil could eliminate the need for a fan. No way in hades that I would ever spend that kind of money on labor for a cheap part. Many more ways to skin a cat.

I am sorry for your bad experience.

/ Fan uner BX24 mid-section #8  
   / Fan uner BX24 mid-section #9  
HomeBrew2 said:
Now for my opinion (and, no offence to you but great offence to Kubota): I know for a fact that I can find a 12V electric fan that I could hang from bailing wire or even mount sanitarily to replace that shaft driven fan. Possibly even syn hydro oil could eliminate the need for a fan. No way in hades that I would ever spend that kind of money on labor for a cheap part. Many more ways to skin a cat.

Gonna have to be a pretty fancy electric fan, since I think that plastic fan is mounted directly on the driveshaft, and there ain't much room up there.

I am paranoid about sticks with my 23, I would be psycho about it with a 24...

RDnT

/ Fan uner BX24 mid-section #10  
I haven't seen a bx24 but I think you could cut the driveshaft near one end and take it out then take it to a driveshaft place and have them put a couple of flanges on it so it bolts together. Would be a lot cheaper than 600 bucks.
It also seems like a lot of money just to pull the engine. Does it really take more than a couple of hours shop time? Or are they up to 150 bucks an hour labor now?