Fair price on almost new tractor chains?

/ Fair price on almost new tractor chains? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
I have an almost new set of V-bar Duo Grip tractor chains and the chain tensioner devices. (I used them less than one winter season). A friend is interested in buying them from me. New price for the chains and tensioners would be $715.

Neither of us is looking to take advantage of the other, we just want a fair price. What do folks think here is a fair price?

My rule of thumb on used equipment in good condition is 2/3 the price of new. Depending on just how good the condition is, the price might be negotiated down from there. 2/3 X $715 is approximately $480. Since these are in good shape, I'm thinking we would not come down much from that 2/3 price... maybe $450.

Does that sound fair?

/ Fair price on almost new tractor chains?
More than fair.
"More than" which way? In favor of the buyer or the seller? What would you figure a "neutral" price would be?

/ Fair price on almost new tractor chains? #4  
With friends or neighbors my rule of thumb has always been 50% of new, in good condition. My thinking is that there is NO doubt that the price is "neighborly" and they appreciate the deal.
That said, your 2/3 rds is still more than fair, and a good deal for the buyer. I would consider maybe $550 to be a "neutral" price

/ Fair price on almost new tractor chains? #5  
Oh, sorry. I was using "more than" as a southernism. Really ought to look first to see where the message is going.

So to be more definite - you imply that you would be willing to sell for 450. I would have considered your 2/3 calculation of 480 to be a fair price if indeed there is little wear and they are usable as they are.

So in "southern speak" we would say that if 480 was fair, then anything less than that would be "more than fair". If I'd felt you were too high I would have told you so.

Now since I don't have a horse in this race I am free to offer unasked for opinion as well..... I personally tend to sell used for half - but then I know that is too low. That's usually because I'm not concerned with trying to be fair to anyone; simply trying to trying to help someone out.
Caveat: Not everyone needs or even appreciates being helped out that way.

rScotty

/ Fair price on almost new tractor chains? #6  
Non friend, $550. Friend $480. You are giving him a good deal. Chains last forever, so no fear they will 'break' after you sell them.

/ Fair price on almost new tractor chains? #7  
I think $500 is a good compromise

Andy

Thanks everyone.

/ Fair price on almost new tractor chains? #9  
What's today's new price with bidenflation? That's a valid consideration neighbor or not.

What's today's new price with bidenflation? That's a valid consideration neighbor or not.
The new price is in the first paragraph of the first post, and that price has come down from what it was a year ago. (The price for some steel products has been plummeting since abut September, though in some product categories, it may not yet have filtered all the way through to retail, end-users.)

Last edited: