Fabricating an air compressor drain hose

/ Fabricating an air compressor drain hose #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Probably the wrong place, but, I have a Dewalt portable compressor with a working pressure of 200 PSI. All the drain hose kits I see on ebazon claim 175 as the working pressure.

While that might seem like a "probably work fine" non issue, I really don't want to put up with the noise and possible injury should that hose or connection let go.

Was thinking of making my own, but have no crimping equipment. I hesitate to believe chose clamps, barb fittings and a bit of hose would be enough to hold reliably.

I did call a local hose shop but no response yet.

/ Fabricating an air compressor drain hose #2  
A shop that fabricates hydraulic hoses should be able to fix you up. Just know what fittings you will be working with- probably pipe threads.

/ Fabricating an air compressor drain hose #3  
I have a larger 60 gal upright compressor. Took out the flimsy little valve and installed a galvanized nipple, 90° elbow, a standard plumbing shut off, then continued with a straight nipple. Then attached about 6' of clear plastic hose that fit very tightly on the nipple (had to stretch it and thread it onto the nipple). Used a hose clamp as extra security.

The only issue is the end of the hose really wants to whip around..... so made a "holder" for the end outside. I have this setup for about 4 years so far, no trouble at all. I drain it about once a month, but we live in a very dry environment. Even if the compressor runs all day, only about 2-3 ounces comes out.

This is not a "compressor rated" set up, but it works for me. Install, use, and setup at your own risk.

/ Fabricating an air compressor drain hose #5  
I open the drain valve on my air compressor tank and let all the water blow out on the floor of my shop. It's not a whole lot of water and it will dry out after a while. No harm - no foul.

I could put a shop towel down on the floor - if I were really concerned. Why would you put a permanent fixture on a portable shop tool.

/ Fabricating an air compressor drain hose #6  
I added an elbow and copper tubing to my 80-gallon shop tank when I set it in place. I put a valve on the end of that to drain it. Mine stays cracked open all the time so it's always draining, and I don't have to crawl around on the floor to open/close it.

If yours is portable, just lay it back, crack the valve open a bit then tilt it back up. The water will drain out. ;)

I wouldn't advise adding extra parts to the bottom of a portable tank. It'd be too easy to break off.

/ Fabricating an air compressor drain hose #7  
Mine stays cracked open all the time so it's always draining,
Same here, it barely makes any noise, so it doesn't make the compressor run all the time.

SR

/ Fabricating an air compressor drain hose #8  
I run my tank drain into a cannister filter, oil or fuel type. just thread a nipple into the filter and attach hose.
Good to go. catches all the crap. change filter every few years.

/ Fabricating an air compressor drain hose #9  
Never occurred to me to have a drain hose for a portable compressor. I just tip it back to access the valve and let it drain on the floor, but my shop has concrete floor so nothing to be damaged by water.

Could you just push on a flexible line and let it drain somewhere else when you open the valve?