F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it?

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
2006 F350 6.0 4x4 DRW (new to me) - about 150K miles

I am going to change out brakes and rotors this weekend.

Since I am going to be tearing everything out for rotors, it would be just a few more minutes to completely replace the wheel bearings. I don't know whether they are good or bad. Again, this truck is new to me.

Basically, since I will be removing and repacking the old bearings... I began thinking that perhaps I would simply completely replace bearings and seals.

I know the brakes are bad. I haven't taken the time (yet) to check the bearings, but since, they are relatively inexpensive given already being torn down, I am leaning towards complete replacement.

What do you think the utility of bearing replacement would be?

Am I missing anything? Am I being unreasonable in my thoughts? I haven't changed a wheel bearing in about 20yrs, but I don't know that they would be that much different now compared to before.

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it? #2  
My thought is if it's not broke don't fix it but then I'm not a mechanic either.

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it? #3  
Double post

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it? #4  
I am a mechanic, and have turned alot of wrenches on these trucks.

Repace the seal if you want but if its not leaking, I wouldnt bother. Bearings are lubed by diff oil, not grease. Check them by pulling the axle and spin the hub before removing bearing lock nut. If its smooth and no play, no worries.

Unless it looks like this... This is bad. Noticeable rumble when driving, rear inner bearing on my dually.

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it? #5  
2wd or 4wd? Front brakes or rear brakes?

If 2wd and front brakes, then it's up to you and cost. But do the seals and repack bearings. If 4wd, don't touch the bearing unless it's bad(loose, noisy)
If rear brakes, inspect and replace if necessary, and replace the seal. (it's not ever going to be more accessible)
Dieselcrawler's advice is for rear brakes, and other than I would replace the seal, I agree.

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it?
Bearings are lubed by diff oil, not grease.

Diesel... I understand the bearings are oil, however, everyone I've seen (on YouTube... and I know it isn't the ultimate source.) packs the bearings with wheel grease. I know that upon removing the axle, you lose a bit of oil. I can top that off in the diff case when I'm through.

But, do you just install the bearings 'dry' relying on the oil? I've never seen a wheel bearing installed that wasn't grease-packed. But then again, this isn't what I do on a daily basis.

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it? #7  
I ALWAYS pack the rear bearings when installing them.

It keeps them alive until plenty of oil gets to them and the grease just washes away in time anyway, so no big deal...

SR

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it? #8  
2wd or 4wd? Front brakes or rear brakes?

If 2wd and front brakes, then it's up to you and cost. But do the seals and repack bearings. If 4wd, don't touch the bearing unless it's bad(loose, noisy)
If rear brakes, inspect and replace if necessary, and replace the seal. (it's not ever going to be more accessible)
Dieselcrawler's advice is for rear brakes, and other than I would replace the seal, I agree.

I'm "confused" right along with you. Not sure which we are talking about either. :)

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it? #9  
Unless the rear seal is leaking or the bearings (which I doubt) need replacing I would leave it be. Why mess with something that works. I've replaced a no. of seals over the years on my pick-ups and dump trucks but only after a lot more than 150k and they were leaking. Have never had to replace a bearing yet in a floating axle.

/ F350 DRW Brakes and rotors... should I replace bearings while I am at it? #10  
I wet new/dry bearings with a bit of diff lube before putting the hub on the spindle. When I'm done, top off the diff, and jack up the other side to let oil drain into the 'dry' hub, or park the truck on a sidehill for a while... Anything to get the oil to flow to the hub.

Never heard of packing a oil lubed hub with grease. I guess it would work... But I dont like the idea of contaminated diff oil, even if both are lube.

As pointed out earlier, I am speaking of rear full floater axles, that pertain to the OP's ford dually.

Front bearings are unit bearings/hub assembly's. Easy to replace... Costly. Wait till they go bad.