F150 transmission stuck

/ F150 transmission stuck #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I have a 2011 F150 with the transmission stuck in 3rd gear. Friday I went and picked up my MIL mower from the repair shop and all was well. When I drove the truck yesterday it was stuck in 3rd gear. I tried manual mode and it would not shift. I tried putting it in 1 or 2 and it would not shift. I tried 4 wheel drive still stuck. It would go into reverse. It does have a bad battery that needs replacing ASAP but I didn't think that would affect the transmission. Is there anything else I can try before spending big bucks at the repair shop?

/ F150 transmission stuck #2  
I would not be so sure that the battery is not part of the problem as in many modern vehicles electronics and the computer control even transmissions, that is if it is an automatic tranny.
Manual transmissions are just that, manual.

/ F150 transmission stuck #3  
There is an old saying in electronic repair, "fix what you can see first". In a system with multiple problems, fix the thing you can see that is broken first, then troubleshoot the remaining ones. If you know the battery is defective, then replace it, then start on the transmission. I am not saying it will solve all of your problems, but the problems may interact in ways you do not understand.

/ F150 transmission stuck #4  
There was in issue with a transmission molded leadframe that caused some odd shifting, and that could be your issue. Ford had some TSB's on it. I found tsb# 13-04-09 that lists replacing AL3Z-7G276-A Molded Leadframe.

/ F150 transmission stuck #5  
I would bet money your battery is causing or has caused your problems. It's all electronic.

Just hope that $100 battery you put off replacing has now not caused you $5000 in tranny repairs.

Chris

/ F150 transmission stuck
I put a new battery in last night and it seems to have fixed the transmission problem. I hope this ends up being an easy fix.

/ F150 transmission stuck #7  
Great news that the battery fixed it. I completely missed that sentence in your first post, saying you had a bad battery. Everything is drive by wire these days and even the TSB I posted above is to fix a bad connection problem. In a way, nothing has changed from the early trucks and tractors, when the saying was "bright and tight".

/ F150 transmission stuck #8  
I put a new battery in last night and it seems to have fixed the transmission problem. I hope this ends up being an easy fix.

Yep, the old "fix what you can see first" thing seemed to hold up..:thumbsup:

/ F150 transmission stuck #9  
Similar to my Dodge Ram. Couple winters ago it would sometimes sits for weeks. Once I had to charge it up, but then it would start and drive around great, but at idle would die if you didn't keep your foot on the gas. Even if it died, you could easily restart it and be on your way again.

After doing research, I thought it must be an air flow sensor and/or (let's call it) a throttle body idle servo motor (?) This is going to cost me ($) !!
But luckily I happened upon a website that says these are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations (Light bulb went on: Didn't I just have a dead battery?).

New battery fixed the stall at idle (throttle servo) problem!