EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System

/ EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
I have a New Holland TC40D with R4's (rear loaded with CaCl) plus a 6' box scraper and I still get some tire spin digging in with the loader. Granted it's been muddy, but I've also felt the rear being a little light with the loader lifting.

I've been thinking about wheel weights and came across an ad in the TBN classifieds from a company called EZ Weights at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ezweights.com/frmain.php>http://www.ezweights.com/frmain.php</A>. They sell adapters that allow you to use plate weights (from weight-lifting sets) for what seems to be a much lower price than factory weights. In addition, you can install/remove it much easier than factory weights, plus you can "dial in" the specific amount you want. My local PlayItAgainSports store owner sells used weights for cheap and used metric weights SUPER cheap. All in all, it seems like a good system.

Anyone out there use it?

If not, any opinions on it?

Mark

weightwheel.jpg

/ EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System #2  
I don't know if anyone here has bought from them. But some of us her have made our own. I have had mine for about three years.

/ EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System #3  
Here is my home made weights. Here is also a site that has some just like them. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mgsweb.com/tractor/hacker/hacker.htm>http://www.mgsweb.com/tractor/hacker/hacker.htm</A>

Attachments

• 5-224034-Picture208.jpg
    5-224034-Picture208.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 388
   / EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System #4  
What size plates are you planning to use? I have been looking for a good deal on used 45 pound plates with 1" centers to use with the easy weights system. I am in Southern Maryland. The best I have found so far is $19 at Wal Mart for 45 pound plates with 2" centers.

/ EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System
This is all preliminary - based on how I THINK they will fit (I haven't purchased yet):

The plate closest to the hub can be about 15" in diameter. After that, I can stack 19" diameter plates. I am unsure of the weights for the diameters.

Assuming 1" for the brackets and nut, I can handle a stack of about 7-8" without it sticking out beyond the plane of the sidewall. I don't know how many plates that can equal since I am unsure of the plate thicknesses.

The owner of my local PIAS in Clifton, VA (10 miles outside the beltway and 5-7 minutes off I66) is Mark Sorenson at 703-266-8677. He advertises at $.40/lb but everything is negotiable. Tell him you were referred by Mark, the tractor/guitar guy, and where you are coming from to make it worth your while. Or, if you have some sporting goods you aren't using, you can possibly trade with him.

"Quid pro quo, Mr. Powers..." (sorry - BIG Austin Powers fan.../w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif) - Have you purchased the adapters yet? If so, what do YOU think?

Mark

/ EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System
Thanks for the replies, JerryG. I don't weld or have any metalworking experience, so I don't feel comfortable making them. Since they are only $35-40 per side, it is probably more economical in terms of both time and materials to buy them. However, your experiences and those of the other guy confirm that the concept is valid, works, and lasts.
Mark

/ EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System #7  
Thanks for the information. I have not purchased the adapters yet. I have been waiting to find 45 pound plates with 1" centers at a reasonable price. Typically, the 45 pound plates are about 1" thick and 17" in diameter.

/ EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System #8  
Mike's a pretty clever guy...I met him a few years ago due to my woodworking activities. If you can imagine it...he can make it!

/ EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System #9  
Keith,
You may be able to use some pipe or something as a spacer to get from 1" to 2" to use the weights you found.

/ EZ Weights Wheel Weighting System #10  
I have 2" OD pipe that I can use for the Walmart plates, but I have not figured out a good plan for securing the weights. I think you need threads to compress the weights against the backer plate to distribute the load to the accessory plates more directly.