Eyes up, or eyes down?

/ Eyes up, or eyes down?
Well the story is my wife showed me this Internet article about growing 100 pounds of potatoes in a 2'x2' 'potato tower'. So of course I've got to try it. Not that I don't have anything else to do. Can't get caught up as it is. So one more project.

This retirement is getting complicated!

RSKY

/ Eyes up, or eyes down? #5  
It doesn't really matter, but eyes up means that the sprouts can grow directly to the surface instead of having to grow out and around the seed piece first. That might save you a day or two on emergence at the most.

/ Eyes up, or eyes down? #6  
Well the story is my wife showed me this Internet article about growing 100 pounds of potatoes in a 2'x2' 'potato tower'. So of course I've got to try it. Not that I don't have anything else to do. Can't get caught up as it is. So one more project.

Towers don't work. Potatoes only form tubers in the region up to about 4 inches above the seed piece. If you bury them much deeper, you are just making them work harder and reducing yield. There are a huge number of variations on this all with lots of hype on the Internet, but they all fail to observe how potatoes actually grow.

/ Eyes up, or eyes down?
Towers don't work. Potatoes only form tubers in the region up to about 4 inches above the seed piece. If you bury them much deeper, you are just making them work harder and reducing yield. There are a huge number of variations on this all with lots of hype on the Internet, but they all fail to observe how potatoes actually grow.

And I've already spent $2 on seed potatoes.

/ Eyes up, or eyes down? #8  
Plant the potatoes in a bushel basket and put the tomatoes in a the tower.

I have never worried about which way the eyes are facing, just drop them in the ground and cover them. And then I usually hill them up twice after they emerge and start to grow. Soil around here gets hard so the hilling helps them grow larger and produce more.

/ Eyes up, or eyes down? #9  
My wife planted some in 12" rectangular flower pots last year. As I recall she planted about 4 in each pot then covered them a couple of times with potting soil after they came up. They actually did quite well.

/ Eyes up, or eyes down? #10  
I used to take my fresh potato seed cuttings and put them in a brown paper bag with some flowers of sulfur (powdered sulfur). The fresh cuts will cause the sulfur to coat and adhere to the seed. I always planted mine with the eyes up, but I can recall my Grand Dad and my uncles planting theirs by plowing a furrow and dropping the seeds in the furrow while moving and they grew well.

The sulfur does a couple of things; it keeps the bugs and worms off the seed and it supplies a bit of acid as it deteriorates in the ground. Potatoes, as I recall, recall a slightly acid pH to thrive.