Toplink Extending a hydraulic top link

/ Extending a hydraulic top link #11  
It depends on how the shaft end is configured now.
>If it is a piece of thick flat bar then splice it with the same.
>If it is round, splice it with round as did Allen in TX.
>If you can get away with not cutting the ball flush to the cylinder it would be easier and stronger to splice in a matching piece with a 100% weld.

Personally, I would not use MIG. It will stick it together but penetration is limited with the heavier materials.

It will take a (open) root pass and several cover passes on both sides of the spliced shaft. This is best done with stick.

Really sort of depends on the size of his MIG. ;) A typical home owner unit would not be the thing to use.

/ Extending a hydraulic top link #12  
Really sort of depends on the size of his MIG. ;) A typical home owner unit would not be the thing to use.

To the OP, tpulley:

After you decide what you want to do you might want to run it by the guys in the "Welding Forum" on TBN. Lots of farmer/weldors over there.

/ Extending a hydraulic top link #13  
To the OP, tpulley:

After you decide what you want to do you might want to run it by the guys in the "Welding Forum" on TBN. Lots of farmer/weldors over there.

Very smart thing to do. Great suggestion. :thumbsup:

/ Extending a hydraulic top link #14  
we do that kind of thing here also, I weld on the cylinders and help out people who want to extend there cylinders

/ Extending a hydraulic top link #15  
Just a guess on my part but the Op probably wouldn't be going through any of this if he had done business with either of the last two posters! MtnViewRanch/CarterandCarter