Experience with Taylor-Dunn utility vehicles?

/ Experience with Taylor-Dunn utility vehicles? #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
I have found one thats for sale a couple hours away, and was wondering if anyone has had experience with them. I looked up the company expecting it to be some no-name brand, but they make a lot of vehicles that are commonly seen around airports - the airplane tugs, people transporters used indoors, etc., looks like some heavy-duty stuff.

This one has a gas engine, a belt-drive, centrifugal clutch, and a nice looking little flatbed. From what I've found, it should be able to hold at LEAST 1000lbs in the bed, and tow at LEAST 5000lbs. The seller says it has a top speed of around 10MPH, so it appears to be geared low, and the models with the lower gears are able to tow almost double the 5000lbs - so I'm trying to get the model number from the seller to figure out what the exact specs are.

We have what is essentially a small horse farm - we have 2 horses, about 6 acres, and I can really see this thing coming in handy. I don't expect to go plowing through mud in the woods behind us with it, just for general work around the yard.

The seller is asking a little less than $2,000 for it, I was going to offer 15-1700 for it.

BUT, I wanted to get some opinions here first:

12c1g9145ZZZZZZZZZ8ae3db3ba7ad52e1b47.jpg

1f0126146ZZZZZZZZZ8aeb012d631b2241941.jpg

1201481g4ZZZZZZZZZ8ae2e32525bf0001579.jpg

1ga13a144ZZZZZZZZZ8ae71e03c4fec28188a.jpg

/ Experience with Taylor-Dunn utility vehicles? #2  
from looking at thier web page anyone of their carts shouldn't have any problem toating 1000lbs or more. they are pretty much all rated at 1600lbs or higher. if the motor runs good and you ain't woried about going through mud then hey buy that babie.slap some small atv tires on the rear for just a bit more traction on wet grass and i think you just might have a winner.

/ Experience with Taylor-Dunn utility vehicles? #3  
Looks cute.
Probably would be better suited for pavement and hard, dry surfaces (just my guess looking at it and looking at their web site at the intended market for the products).
You'll have to decide whether that would suit your needs on a farm. I've never seen a farm without mud, but if you're just looking for something to stay on the flat and dry, that might be it for you. You might also consider an electric golf cart depending on how much you want to carry. For small areas you can't beat electric, doesn't hurt them to stop start, run really short trips, no warm up, etc.

/ Experience with Taylor-Dunn utility vehicles? #4  
for the price he can get this one though he would have the same ground clearance as a golf cart but with a cab for winter and a bigger bed and alot more payload. i agree with the mud though i would stray to for off the beattin path with it

/ Experience with Taylor-Dunn utility vehicles? #5  
We have several at work all electric they are really heavy duty and well made. Its amazing the weight that they well haul.

/ Experience with Taylor-Dunn utility vehicles?
Thanks for the information everyone, it sounds like they are well made. I got some more information from the seller, he says its the G-150 model, which is rated to carry 1500lbs including passengers. Its supposed to be a '96 or '97 model, he was not the first owner.

I may go look at it this weekend, its about 3 hours away so it'll be a bit of a drive, but it may be worth it, just gotta decide if its something worth spending that kind of money on now.

/ Experience with Taylor-Dunn utility vehicles? #7  
I'm way late to this thread, so it's probably already gone, but I'm gonna chime in for the benefit of future searchers.

I own a stable with between 40-50 horses. We use a Taylor-Dunn B2-48 electric flatbed to haul hay to the stalls and manure away from them (in big trash cans. Works for us). It has to climb hills on gravel paths and on pavement, and it does just fine. It'll handle some mud on the flat. Ours does not have a cab. IIRC, ours has only 2-wheel brakes, on the rears only, and 4-wheel brakes would be a big help on the downhills.

Other issues for "off-road" use: There are lots of flat surfaces underneath the unit that catch and hold dirt and mud and then become havens for corrosion. You must periodically lift the bed and clean these out. Likewise, the disc brakes (Wow! Disc brakes!) tend to load up with dirt and get squeaky.

The whole thing is made of steel and is pretty darn tough, though ours does have some dents in it now.