Experience with catalytic wood stoves

/ Experience with catalytic wood stoves #11  
I have an old Blaze King, I replaced the catalyst when I bought the house 17-years ago. I cant remember how much it cost. I was at one of the stores in town looking at replacing it, and teh store had sold he one in the house to the previous owner.

They came out and replaced the catalyst and three of the bricks. What they told me was to get it burning with the door setting on the bumpers which come out before the catalyst gets hot enough, and you switch over. Load it full, and leave it alone.

Mine has a bimetal thermostat on teh inlet air, and self dampens. It gets too hot the damper closes, too cold the damper opens. I figured out that it could be plumbed for ducted intake air, so I installed a duct through the outside wall, and it gets all of the combustion air from there, instead of sucking cold air into the house.

The trick with the catalyst stoves is get them burning and don’t open the door, until it burns down. Every time you open the door you cool off the catalyst. Open the door too often and you will coat the catalyst to the point it quits reacting. One of the guys who used to work for me said that he, his Dad, and his Sister all bought them at the same time. He read the instructions and would pack his full of wood get it up to temp, then shut the door until it completed the burn. His Dad and Sister would half load theirs, then open it every hour or so, and throw more wood in. He had the same catalyst in his that it had come with about nine seasons before. He had replaced them for his Dad and Sister several times each.

Mine is in the upstairs at my place about heating about 1300-sf. If I stoke it up before I go to bed at about 2200, and turn it down for the night, it is still hot when I get up around 0730. I restoke it and get the front of the house warmed up for breakfast, and then turn it back down before I leave for the day. I let it burn out Saturday mornings, because the air inlet is at the back bottom, and I need to get the ash out to keep it clear. Is it generating more heat per amount of wood, than a regular stove? I can’t say. It does do a good job of keeping a regulated heat, without getting too hot, and then too cold, and I get fairly long, (8 to 12-hrs), burns out of it. The outside combustion air ducting, and the thermostatic damper make a large difference in my mind on how well it works.

Mine is about twice as big as Blaze King recommended. But the Gal I bought the place from wanted one that was really big. When I was getting ready to close I’d tell people at work, what I was buying, and they would all ask me if I knew she was crazy. So, she frequently did things out of the norm.

She painted the entire downstairs in life size salmon and steelhead.
08C96E01-7238-40BC-983F-4516198962F9.jpeg

/ Experience with catalytic wood stoves #12  
I don't have a cat stove but I remember why I made that choice:
1) more finicky on startup
2) eventually you have to replace the cat element ($$$)

Instead we bought the Pacific Engineering Summit model, an "EPA approved" stove.

Clean burning? YES! I visually watched the very top of the chimney and it never seemed to need cleaning. Finally after 7 years I called a chimney sweep. He took the cap off, looked down the chimney and told me there wasn't enough to warrant cleaning but I had him do it anyway. After another 5-7 years I had our roof replaced and asked the roofer to check it while he had the chimney apart Same response, very clean chimney!

I feel I made the right decision.

Ken

/ Experience with catalytic wood stoves #13  
I don't have a cat stove but I remember why I made that choice:
1) more finicky on startup
2) eventually you have to replace the cat element ($$$)

Instead we bought the Pacific Engineering Summit model, an "EPA approved" stove.

Clean burning? YES! I visually watched the very top of the chimney and it never seemed to need cleaning. Finally after 7 years I called a chimney sweep. He took the cap off, looked down the chimney and told me there wasn't enough to warrant cleaning but I had him do it anyway. After another 5-7 years I had our roof replaced and asked the roofer to check it while he had the chimney apart Same response, very clean chimney!

I feel I made the right decision.

Ken
Catalytic stoves are rare around here. I don't know of anyone who sells them. The EPA certified stoves with reburn chambers own the market, probably because they work. They have a lower initial cost and don't require expensive maintenance.

/ Experience with catalytic wood stoves #14  
My non catalyst EPA stove burns very clean with no visible smoke once it's going. Down wind you can barely even smell it. The drawback to the non catalyst stoves is that you can't turn them down really low for a long burn like you can with catalyst stoves. They need a certain amount of air to keep the secondary burn going. People with large Blaze Kings boast of 24 hour burn cycles. Mine's more like 6.

With an EPA stove you get more BTUs out of the wood than with an older type stove because burning the smoke makes more heat. They do like dry wood though. Some of my wood needs two years to dry before it burns well in my stove but most of the species I have only need one or just a summer.

/ Experience with catalytic wood stoves #15  
My non catalyst EPA stove burns very clean with no visible smoke once it's going. Down wind you can barely even smell it. The drawback to the non catalyst stoves is that you can't turn them down really low for a long burn like you can with catalyst stoves. They need a certain amount of air to keep the secondary burn going. People with large Blaze Kings boast of 24 hour burn cycles. Mine's more like 6.

With an EPA stove you get more BTUs out of the wood than with an older type stove because burning the smoke makes more heat. They do like dry wood though. Some of my wood needs two years to dry before it burns well in my stove but most of the species I have only need one or just a summer.
I have my fingers crossed. I cleaned out my wood shed and only have a few days firewood left, in a shed that holds 6 cords with room for a splitting stump. Some of the last wood is stuff I cut 20 years ago, buried in 4" of bark and dirt. It will be great to shovel out the shed.

Last winter's snowmageddon put about 4 cords of hardwood branches on the ground, which is all cut and stacked in single ricks to dry this summer. Because they were branches, over half the firewood is rounds. Rounds are great for long burning fires, because the natural geometry of the limb is fire resistant, but they are hard to dry. Splits dry much faster. I'm hoping 90 degree days with single digit humidity will get me there, but you make me nervous. Your area is pretty dry.

If you want a long burning fire, buy a big firebox. My stove will take a couple 10" x 20" hunks, which can burn hot all night and still leave a nice bed of coals in the morning.

/ Experience with catalytic wood stoves #16  
We get a good amount of rain- 45 inches a year is the average. We got less last year and this year. But it's in about 5 months of winter, 6 at most. The rest of the year there's no rain at all.

Madrone and Tan oak dry well enough to run in my stove over one summer. Eucalyptus (blue gum) takes two years. It's super dense and hangs on to its water.

/ Experience with catalytic wood stoves
Thanks for all the comments. The web sites for the manufacturers of stoves all describes their performance in glowing terms. The comments here are from real experiences that is a whole lot more useful.
Our 1800's farm house is part log cabin and brick and has virtually no insulation so it takes a lot wood. We use the old Jotul in the living room and have a larger wood/oil fired in the basement that can heat the house via forced air circulation. We use close to 10 cords a year to keep it comfortable. The Yukon furnace in the basement eats wood like there is no tomorrow with a large firebox. Most of the time we will only use the Jotul stove but we keep it up on high heat output which require feeding it often. It mostly burns out overnight. Seems like a catalytic wood stove would provide longer burns

/ Experience with catalytic wood stoves #18  
A couple seasons back, we sold the Vermont Castings Reliant and replaced it with a HearthStone Castleton Model 8030 NON- catalyst.
We have been quite pleased with this Soapstone heater so far. Love the look of stone! Those Flame faireys are a pleasure to observe through the glass front. The glass stays clean with a hot burn , coats up when shut down, even with multi year dry maple.

Looking at this thread, I dug a bit deeper into stove options, comparing this 8030 with the newer 8031 Cat version.

Both stoves are spec.ed at 45,000 btu max output.

The 8030 is speced at 2.7 grams/ hour emission. the 8031 at .7 grams per hour
Efficiency for the 8031 was given as 77%, I didn't find the value for the 8030 in the literature.

BIG difference in BURN TIME

the 8030 , non- cat. 8 hours
the 8031 Cat fitted, a whopping 20 hours!

I certainly would be curious as to the heating capabilities of the cat equipped stove at such extended burn times.

Our downstairs stove is a brick lined sheet steel Fischer stove that takes wood up to 30 inches long. When that firebox is filled, It makes great heat for about ten hours, after that, it sort of "self banks" under it's own ashes and holds "warmth and coals for well over 24 hours, Close to 36. That with the air controls backed out less than 1/4 turn. When it's cold, I like this stove! Of course, wood variety and load fill have a lot to do with burn times.

As for the our experience with the HearthStone. The fire box holds three splitter run pieces of 16 inch length.
Loaded at night (10:00) It still has coals enough to get things going come morning. And the house stays 68 at worse. Too warm upstairs. (we run a ceiling fan constantly in winter. At a burn rate enough to keep the secondary air jets "lit", Burn time between refills is likely 4-5 hours tops. Sometimes I just throw a single fresh piece on a good coal bed to keep things moving. That gives a couple hours . These side seasons are the hardest. It's 46 degrees outdoors just now. The Parlor stove has a fire in the box. Glowing coals, a nice warmth on my backside. I don't think I'll load it tonight. I sleep better in cool air.

eta

Just a note of interest (to me anyway) Comparing fuel wood heat output by cord measure (volume) is pure foolishness.
Compared by WEIGHT, All wood has about the same heat content. in fact, the softwoods are bit above the hardwoods. Just make sure the fuel wood is DRY. ;-)

Last edited:
   / Experience with catalytic wood stoves #19  
We had a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore for 15 years. Glad it's gone. The stove was finicky, tricky, high maintenance, and once you messed up once, the cat would partly stop functioning, eventually need to be replaced, and put a lot of creosote up the chimney in the meantime.

Essentially, you had to only engage the cat at a certain flue temperature. In the wee hours, when the stove burned most its fuel, the cat would still be engaged while you slept but be well below optimal temperature. This degraded the cat to partial functionality. Thus the soot.

One time the stove overfired. The bolted, gasketed, fitted, cast iron structural parts warped (very slightly) permanently, but enough that the stove had many small air leaks. This promoted more overfiring and put the stove outside its cat-function parameters. Had to reseal the stove several times. The stove also had bimetal air shutters which stopped working shortly into ownership.

I replaced it with a Quadrafire which uses air tube reburn instead of the cat. It is easy to run, very reliable, uses less wood, and puts out less creosote.

/ Experience with catalytic wood stoves #20  
I like my VC 1945. I have a catalytic monitor. Once the cat is lit I watch tHe monitor. With a well lit load the cat temp goes to about 1200. When it drops to 800 I know it’s time to add fuel. I have good coals in the morning and the top loading makes life easy.