Rear Finish Mower Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #1  

UncleBuck1

Silver Member
Tractor
2011 MF 2660HD; 1964 JD 4020 (may she rest in peace)
Okay, I should know the answer to this, but I don't.

I'm looking to purchase a used finish/grooming mower and all of the ones that I'm finding have a fairly low max HP ratings- for example, the manual for one Land Pride mower I looked at said "the horse power rating of the tractor should not exceed 35 PTO horse power." The problem is that my tractor is rated at 70 PTO horsepower! It seems that the belt drive is the weak link and would probably prevent any damage from overpowering the gear box.... right?

Bottom line, what sort of problems will I face if I run a finish mower rated for 35 PTO HP on a 70 HP tractor?

Brian

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #2  
you might trash the gearbox, but those are cheap, right?.

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #3  
I don't think the gearbox will be the problem. Those are usually built for higher HP than the implement is rated to. The belts, on the other hand, are the weak link but it will only slip if you load the blades too much. Like when going to fast through very thick grass.

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #4  
I just can't imagine it being a MAJOR problem. Starting the PTO with engine at idle and then increasing revs to normal PTO speed would not normally stress the mower drive train. Starting the PTO at high revs might. Hitting something while cutting on a over powered mower also MIGHT depending on what was hit. The weakest link is supposed to be in the mower drive train. Right?

I don't see how any of these things would be a major difference due to horse power. A weak mower drive train should break when it hit a hard object regardless of horse power driving it. Over revving it is possible, but unlikely to be a MAJOR problem short of hitting something. My last tractor had a multiple speed PTO, and I could run the finish mower on any of them, but it was less HP than yours.

You could always go to a slip clutch or sheer bolt PTO shaft to solve most of these weaknesses.

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #5  
What are you finish mowing with a 70HP tractor? Any concerns about damaging the ground?

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #6  
Okay, I should know the answer to this, but I don't.

I'm looking to purchase a used finish/grooming mower and all of the ones that I'm finding have a fairly low max HP ratings- for example, the manual for one Land Pride mower I looked at said "the horse power rating of the tractor should not exceed 35 PTO horse power." The problem is that my tractor is rated at 70 PTO horsepower! It seems that the belt drive is the weak link and would probably prevent any damage from overpowering the gear box.... right?

Bottom line, what sort of problems will I face if I run a finish mower rated for 35 PTO HP on a 70 HP tractor?

Brian

I think you are probable right. Have you priced the cost of a new belt? That might be the deciding factor, some of them get expensive.

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #7  
"the horse power rating of the tractor should not exceed 35 PTO horse power." guess why the manufacturer said that!..

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #8  
Land Pride makes many that are up to 60 or 70 HP. I'm not sure I would be too worried about the HP rating if you are just finish mowing. Where you might run into a problem is if you were "finish" mowing 12" heavy grass. If you are mowing every week or two it wouldn't matter what tractor HP was as long as its minimum enough to run the mower.

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #9  
if you want a really nice cut, get a reel mower, that's what they use on golf courses. it's like the grass is cut with scissors..

/ Exceeding max HP rating for finish mower #10  
You will not have any problems if you cut grass that has grown to a reasonable height and do not hit any solid objects with the blades. Belt drive is your friend.