Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast
#1,241  
Simple answer? Made in China. Complex answer? We design the units on this side of the pond. In fact I designed the interface for the plasmas and spec'd it myself. More Complex answer? Everyone is building their products in China or other countries outright or building subcomponents and assembling them here in the US (in some cases, just slapping the covers on them). This is common and has been for over 20 years now. Hypertherm is one example. They got into trouble with " building" their so-called usa made units because their internationally based components were not able to be made. For example, their solenoids were built in Costa Rica. Imagine what happens to the supply line when a small country like C.R. gets hit with Covid? They had a breakdown in supply. They had to even send their own employees into outsourced factories that supply them to operate the assembly lines to get production going. They were 6 to 8 months behind IIRC. With the fact that we build in China and use name brand, off the shelf components we've been able to survive any MAJOR shortages. Production did slow but never ceased and supply is fairly normal, even with shipping issues because we have anticipated ahead pushing out extra production well ahead of expected peak curves so it will arrive in time even with the slowed delivery.

As far as the torches? We use innotec made torches. Miller and Hypertherm use their own proprietary torches. Lincoln has theirs made by tecmo, an Italian company that is owned by relatives to the Innotec factory in China. They use the same basic design and patent from my understanding. They have their own special threading, but the design is the same. Many other companies use the Innotec or tecmo torches. Many of your tool truck brands, companies like HTP, Northern Tool, and even Harbor freight use either tecmo or innotec as their torch supplier. You can go to HF or Northern stores and buy consumables there. Some local welding supply stores can as well since either their store brands or a carried brand use the same torch. Keep in mind that HT and Miller are proprietary, so no ours won't interchange with theirs, and theirs won't interchange with each other.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,242  
I'm thinking strongly about getting a capable stick /tig

My shop space is not heated,, and it gets cold here. -3 F right now.

Do I need to keep the inverter type machines energized all the time in order to prolong the capacitor life?

I do keep all of my several (6) Variable Frequency Drives energized for that reason.

That Powertig 210 EXT looks nice

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,243  
I'm thinking strongly about getting a capable stick /tig

My shop space is not heated,, and it gets cold here. -3 F right now.

Do I need to keep the inverter type machines energized all the time in order to prolong the capacitor life?

I do keep all of my several (6) Variable Frequency Drives energized for that reason.

That Powertig 210 EXT looks nice
Really an inverter & VFD are the same thing & are going to have more or less the same components.

I have an 9kw inverter for my solar power system, an Everlast plasma, Miller inverter TIG unit & handful of other gear out in my shop. Some of it 15+ years old & all been exposed to -20f or so intermittently during the winter. Freezing temps may take some years off the life of the gear, but it hasn't outright killed it. Haven't had any inverter type gear die on me ever I can recall actually.

#1,244  
We don't recommend storage that low. Minimum recommended temp is 14F. They are light enough to pick up and store elsewhere. Shouldn't be an issue with taking in due to its weight and size.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,245  
How are you guys making out with china/covid?

in the market for a mig that can weld 1/2, maybe 3/4. Are your welders holding up to the red and blue?

#1,246  
No issues with manufacturing, or at least we've not had delays like some of the other major companies who lean on China for their parts. The biggest issue we've had is in the good ole USA at the port.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,247  
No issues with manufacturing, or at least we've not had delays like some of the other major companies who lean on China for their parts. The biggest issue we've had is in the good ole USA at the port.
That won't change in the immediate future, if anything it will get worse. Contrary to your business, I'd like to see this country adopt a policy of protectionism, not holding my breath on that however. I presume your stuff is completely produced in China.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,248  
No-one... Makes welding equipment in the USA. Lincoln dose a little in Mexico and ESAB buys Orphans from the Swiss and China. We all know how that is gong. Everyone else imports from China (with some degree of success or failure.) Sometimes partially with other components coming from all over the world. It's been that way for 15 years. Miller only assembles in USA Bobcats included. Hypertherm brings in parts from all over the world including China. How do I know? I have one and have pulled the cover several times when the main board smoked out on me. Luckily I known the Rep and he takes care of me. China has many tiers of manufacturing quality. Some of the best running Mig wires are coming from China in Lincoln and ESAB boxes. I think it's too late to adopt an us vs them when they nearly own us already. Ask Brandon. He's dropping the tariffs Sept 1st.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,249  
If everything was made in USA, nobody would be able to afford it. At least not the lowly consumer. Ok for corporations or folks that can pass along costs, but certainly not me.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,250  
No-one... Makes welding equipment in the USA. Lincoln dose a little in Mexico
I would disagree with you at least partially on your statement having been to Lincoln Electric in Euclid, Ohio numerous times and observing them building welding machines there. They may use outsourced components but the bigger machines (like Pipeliners for instance) are built in Euclid, Ohio

The buzzword term for imported is. World Class Manufacturing, kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.