Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,011  
I almost always do buy quality tools, but I can’t justify snap on over other more value priced brands. I’ve got Williams, SK, Proto, Klein, Knipex, Craftsman ( which I don’t think are as good as their reputation) and it hurts a little bit to say it but I’ve even got some HF tools. I’ve yet to bust a single HF socket or ratchet.
Me too... I think I have only a couple random Snap On stuff including a mini dial torque wrench bought of eBay for a good price.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,012  
My most recent tool purchase was medium length sockets. Which I decided I needed after suffering through getting the stupid studs out of a transmission bell housing. My gear wrench brand set cost me $84 after tax for a metric and standard set. Snap-on per the website is $244 and doesn’t even have a rail. What’s the real difference? IMG_0753.JPGIMG_0754.JPG

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,013  
I don't have experience with Snap On... always too rich for me. Do you break or wear out Snap tools often?
Yes, mainly wore out gears in ratchets. While changing the gear out, the dealer preachers about greasing the gear regularly! Dealer truck has replacement parts onboard. Worn screwdriver tips are replaced on the truck also, installed in your handle. If the dealer doesn't have your tip on board, he gives you a new screwdriver.

Dikes wear out, as we use a lot of safety wire. I am on my second pair of dikes in 40 years. Most breakage is sockets, from using the wrong size drive. Most often we are just replacing the wrench because it walked off. Can't recall ever seeing a bent or broken combination wrench.
hugs, Brandi

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,014  
My most recent tool purchase was medium length sockets. Which I decided I needed after suffering through getting the stupid studs out of a transmission bell housing. My gear wrench brand set cost me $84 after tax for a metric and standard set. Snap-on per the website is $244 and doesn’t even have a rail. What’s the real difference? View attachment 581116View attachment 581117

That is a specialty tool. I would have just bought the size(s) I needed. Whatever brand was the fastest to get in hand. Not many brands make mid length sockets.

For the tools I use every day, I don't use rails, but magnetic socket holders. Holder, Socket, Magnetic, Shallow/Deep, 1/4" drive, Red (Blue-Point(R)) Way faster. As much as I use sockets, I wear the clips on the rails out putting them on and taking them off the clips.
hugs, Brandi

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,015  
How does the snap on warranty really work? The snap on website claims they will not replace severely worn or abused tools. I’ve heard claims of snap on replacing ratchets broken with huge cheaters or in one case a backhoe, wrenches cut with a torch and screw drivers broken in a vice.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,016  
Yes, mainly wore out gears in ratchets. While changing the gear out, the dealer preachers about greasing the gear regularly! Dealer truck has replacement parts onboard. Worn screwdriver tips are replaced on the truck also, installed in your handle. If the dealer doesn't have your tip on board, he gives you a new screwdriver.

Dikes wear out, as we use a lot of safety wire. I am on my second pair of dikes in 40 years. Most breakage is sockets, from using the wrong size drive. Most often we are just replacing the wrench because it walked off. Can't recall ever seeing a bent or broken combination wrench.
hugs, Brandi
I wore out a handful of Craftsman ratchets back in the day. Sears used to swap me a brand new tool. Later... they gave my the guts for me to replace the gear. Total outlay still way lower than the equivalent Snap On.

Don't get me wrong... I love quality tools and do pay for them. I just could never buy Snap On if I wanted to do a decent job populating my tool chest and not be broke.

And now back to welding...

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,017  
How does the snap on warranty really work? The snap on website claims they will not replace severely worn or abused tools. I’ve heard claims of snap on replacing ratchets broken with huge cheaters or in one case a backhoe, wrenches cut with a torch and screw drivers broken in a vice.
Correct, I am sure they are all true. It all depends on how well your relationship with your dealer is. Bring in something broken and it looks abused and you have never purchased one penny off his truck and he will state what the website claims. Bring in something broken and you are a high valued customer........they will replace it.

My ex FIL gave me a Snap On 3/8th drive ratchet that he found in the lake. It was rusted solid and deep pits in the handle. My dealer just gave me a brand new one, instead of trying to replace the gear and ratchet mechanism.

I had a two foot long 1/2 drive break over bar that I had used a cheater pipe on and you could tell a cheaper pipe had been on it. I bent 1 "finger" and broke the other finger at the pivot and broke the pivot pen. After a few wise cracks from the dealer, he replaced it. Now I have a 3/4 inch T bar from TSC I use.

So I guess whatever high value toy or tool you own, it pays to be on first name basis with the dealer!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Mark
hugs, Brandi

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,018  
Uh...........Snap On gave use catalogs AND price lists. No negotiations. I did have one dealer that loved aviation so much, he would give us incentives to buy tools and share aviation mx stories. But he had been a dealer forever and all his truck and merchandise was his, not Snap On's.
hugs, Brandi

Nope. Back then the dealers in Canada gave out catalogues only. No easy access to pricing without asking. (Except for monthly flyers.).

US customers were given price lists updated annually.

/ Everlast Welders - Welders and Plasma Cutters by Everlast #1,020  
  • Good Post
Reactions: jgh