European River Cruise

/ European River Cruise #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Some friends of ours are wanting us to go on an European River Cruise in the spring of 2023. Has anybody ever tried this? It seems that the Eastern Europe cruises are on 'sale' until the end of the year. Any suggestions for first timers?

We are also looking at Mississippi River or other U.S. river cruises later on during the fall. Probably the New Orleans to Memphis one.

Any advice?

RSKY

/ European River Cruise #2  
I've been hearing about many European rivers being at historic lows. Not sure they would all be operating as planned/hoped at this point - maybe moot next year, but better look into it. Rhine, Danube, etc. Super low levels, with WWII relics popping up out of the water in the shallows, etc.

Buuut.... the Mississippi is also super low, lotta barge traffic being withheld. Perhaps the cruise boats get priority lane traffic?

/ European River Cruise #4  
Eastern European cruises would be on sale, since there's a war going on there. And from the photos I've seen the Mississippi is so low your cruise will probably be in an air boat that can skim over mud flats.

/ European River Cruise #5  
My cousin did the Mediterranean cruise and he love it he went to Monaco, Italie, Croatia and Grease (maybe more not too sure) that would be something I also would be interested in as well, but I guess that not the same thing as a river cruise ?? ...

/ European River Cruise
It will be a few months before we go, if we go. The rivers should be up by then. Just wondering if the Eastern Europe would be better than the ones thru France or Central Europe.

RSKY

/ European River Cruise #7  
My cousin did the Mediterranean cruise and he love it he went to Monaco, Italie, Croatia and Grease (maybe more not too sure) that would be something I also would be interested in as well, but I guess that not the same thing as a river cruise ?? ...
Correct. Not the same as a river cruise. We've been on both American river cruises and ocean cruises (no European rivers yet)

My wife & I did the Mississippi & Ohio river cruise on the Delta Queen so that tells you it's been many years. As a passenger vessel, we got priority on getting thru the locks. We waved to all the tow boats and their barges as we passed them while we went to the head of the line.

We looked into a European river cruise and what you'll get is really dependent on the water levels. If it's to low, the river boats will get stuck in the mud so you'll end up on a bus. If the river is to high, the river boats can't get under the bridges and you'll end up on a bus. There are many YouTube videos on European river cruises, check out the ones that say "what you're not told". I've not been on an European river trip yet, but from the YouTube videos, they have a different "feel and attitude" than the ocean cruises.

/ European River Cruise
Talked to my wife's uncle last night. They have been on several of these cruises with a senior citizens group. He said to go in early spring most of the time (really helpful there) but conditions can change. Said the crews and staff were really good on Viking, didn't know about others. Just wondering about Eastern Europe, Germany to Romania or Central Europe, France, Belgium, and Netherlands.

RSKY

/ European River Cruise #9  
We've done several. Rhine, Main, Danube, Rhone. It's a really nice, relaxing way to see Europe. Not cheap but you can get deals. Lower cabins don't have great views, but who wants to stay in the cabin and watch things go by. We've been delayed by low (and high) water but the cruise company goes out of their way to make it work. (High water can be a problem because the ships can't get under bridges.) We've gone with AMA, some of our friends like Viking.

/ European River Cruise
We've done several. Rhine, Main, Danube, Rhone. It's a really nice, relaxing way to see Europe. Not cheap but you can get deals. Lower cabins don't have great views, but who wants to stay in the cabin and watch things go by. We've been delayed by low (and high) water but the cruise company goes out of their way to make it work. (High water can be a problem because the ships can't get under bridges.) We've gone with AMA, some of our friends like Viking.

Which one would you recommend to a first timer?

RSKY